Just Set My Interview Date!

With everything going on Senior year, I just made it even more stressful… I set my interview date with FIT for December 3rd, and I am so not ready! I mean, I’m ready to go to FIT, and answer any questions they could possibly have about why I want to go there and be a fashion designer, but my portfolio has to be completely perfect, which I’ve been stressing over. I have 3 different types of portfolios. One is for Fine Art, one for  garments, and one just for Fashion Design. For FIT, the most important is the fashion design portfolio. Creating a portfolio is extremely time consuming, because you always want to put your best pieces in it, but the more you work, the better you get.

You should always be constantly working and updating your portfolio. Some of my pieces are new, and some are from classes I’ve taken either at FIT or at school. Taking classes outside of school really helps bring a lot of diversity into your work.

It’s extremely difficult to put together a complete portfolio. The hardest part is juggling school, extracurriculars, and work with it. While other students are already hearing back from some colleges, art students are busy planning my applications out for weeks, sometimes months. This can be discouraging, but just keep pushing through! If you’re applying to an art school, try to keep from rushing the application process, because you want your schools to see your best work. Also, you should see what your schools are looking for by going to portfolio reviews and reading the instructions on applications before you start planning out what you send in. I would suggest the summer before your senior year.

What I’ve learned from my Fashion Portfolio class is that there is no slacking. It is a constant strive to do better, no matter what level you’re at. The more you practice, the better you get. I can’t wait for college, but I like being able to gain as much knowledge as possible right now so that I know I’m prepared.

As you can probably tell, FIT is my top choice (just finished my essay this week!). I think that it is the school in America to be in if you want to become a successful fashion designer. It’s also best to be in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world, and most influential in fashion, to stay on track and keep motivated. Although it’s intense, there really is no other place I’d rather be. However, everyone needs back ups. A couple of mine are Pratt and Parsons, but I haven’t exactly been to their campuses to visit >.< Oops! I should get on that.

Karlie

Comments

One response to “Just Set My Interview Date!”

1. Ashley Richards Avatar
    Ashley Richards

I’m applying for Communication Design and I could not agree more with you! Though we have different majors, it is very stressful. But then again.. It will be worth it if/when we get accepted to FIT. It is the most beautiful school with the most incredible staff, academics, etc… There really is no other place I want to be besides the FIT classrooms. My interview date is December 3rd, too, and I am definatly stressing. Good luck with everything and hopefully see you at FIT as newly accepted freshman! 😉