Communications that Click!

A while ago I wrote an article for Pharmaceutical Executive called “Websites that Click! ” Websites, like the entrepreneurs and businesses who put them up, are often chock-filled with tons of information crammed onto the homepage. They want to make sure you see everything that’s important to them on the homepage. Oh vey. All that information (mostly useless to the website visitor) is more likely to drive the person away rather than engage them. So here’s a couple of tips to tighten up your site’s clickability.

Do the research about your audience
• Who are they?
• Why did they come to your website? (If you’re networking, why are they interested in speaking with you?)
• Why do they choose to stay on your website? (Or in the conversation?)
• Do they plan to return to the website? (Yeah, they took your business card, but will they follow up?)

Remember, ask yourself the same questions when you’re in a conversation, i.e. why am I interested in speaking with this person or staying in the conversation?

Don’t overpower your website or conversation with too much information
• Follow the rule of seven – put no more than seven choices for the visitor on your homepage – hey if GE can do it, and they have over 100,000 pages on their site, so can you.
• Apply the rule of seven (actually much less but hopefully you are getting my drift) to your conversations – can you imagine talking to someone about seven different topics in one brief conversation? Better to talk in-depth and establish a connection than to flit all over the place.

Sandra Holtzman teaches CEO 035: Licensing.

3 thoughts on “Communications that Click!

1. Glad to be of help. I try to steer everyone down the right road…with my experience…a lot of it gained by making the same mistakes I’m steering you away from. LOL.

2. I suppose many of us don’t apply these principles to our online business’s when obviously we should. Certainly made me think about things again, thanks