a knitwear story.

March 14, 2010 | By | 3 Replies More

So as my first blog entry, I thought I’d sort of give a summary of what us knitwear students have to do.  Rather than go to the Garment District and purchase our fabric off of a roll, we actually purchase the yarns we wish to make our fabric out of, and essentially start from scratch.  Some of the garments we make are made out of yard goods (where we knit a square of fabric and cut our patterns out of it), but we are mostly encouraged to knit our fabric precisely to the shape of the pattern itself.  There’s a lot more detail to it than that, however, so I came up with a nice little guide to the process we go through!  Here it is (hopefully I’m not missing any steps):

a comprehensive guide to the knitwear journey.

a comprehensive guide to the knitwear journey pt II.

Currently I am on step 9/10 with my first garment (gack!  not nearly as far ahead as Nasya!), and have a LOT to do on garment #2.  Since we started quite a while ago, I started recording some of my steps within the last few weeks, so I’ll do my next couple of posts as a sort of catch up.

Tags:

Comments (3)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Melanie says:

Dani D! Even your sketchbook process is beautiful! SO many steps! ;) Love that leggy croquis at numbero uno! What inspiration! Keep it up, lady! xxx

2. mailav says:

I really love going back to your site to read

your story and see more pictures that are

really taken with great care

3. Dani says:

thanks, Mailav! i appreciate that!