Fashion Forecasting: Seeing into the Future

Processed with VSCO with a4 preset

Have you ever wondered who decides that olive is the “color of the season”? Or who says that chokers are a “thing” again? These trends are determined by Fashion Forecasters, or as I like to call them, the Fairy Godmothers of style. By collecting styles from the past and from the present, these trend detectives and fashion fortune tellers decide what the upcoming trends are and they dictate what consumers will be wearing. They attend runway shows and observe street style to create tomorrow and reinvent yesterday.

As someone who is inspired by marketing and the fashion industry, I strive to surround myself with new skills and become more involved with the ways of predicting the future of fashion. It has only been a few weeks into my class of Fashion Forecasting here at FIT, and I have already learned so much. My classmates and I study the prediction of color, fabrics, textures, materials, prints, and other styles presented on the runway and in stores. We understand how forecasters must play on the vision of a business and the target customers by analyzing the history of fashion to see into the future. In class we look at each others outfits, study street style and gather similarities in style and color from window displays, all to figure and point out current trends. Some popular styles we have talked about include…

Distressed denim:

Photo from fashionbombdaily.com
Photo from fashionbombdaily.com

Choker Necklaces:

Photo from refinery29.com

Neutral color palette:

Photo from Elle.com

Oversized clothing:

Photo from Pinterest.com
Photo from Pinterest.com

Some of these trends are new and some have been revived, but whether new or old, they always find their way back to the top, because fashion always finds a way to repeat itself.

Until next time,

-Faith