Where The Locals Go

Processed with VSCO with a4 preset

Though I am no local, I do know my way around the city pretty well. This comes at an advantage when I am trying to find a new place to shop or eat. In order for my fellow non-local students to make the best of their trip to the city or for those Manhattanites who want to expand their go-to stops; I have compiled a list of my five favorite places to stop at near FIT. I strongly recommend taking a look so you never have to leave the city bored, wishing you could have stayed just a bit longer to add to your already awesome day at FIT.

1.The Smith: On the corner of 27th street and Broadway, one of my personal favorites, The Smith serves up some highly satisfying bites for people of all ages. With an underground photo booth and a classic yet rustic aesthetic, you can’t go wrong. I would 10 out of 10 recommend this restaurant as your next lunch or dinner destination after a hard day’s work at FIT.

The Smith
The Smith

2. Chelsea Market: At 72 9th ave between 16th and 27th street, this indoor marketplace is a melting pot of food junkies and shopaholics. With a variety of small businesses and great pit stops to chow down at, there is something for everybody. If you are in the mood for crêpes, American classics, Italian cuisine or any other food imaginable, Chelsea Market has you covered. And whether you want to find the latest trend or the next best thing there are countless stores to browse around in. These include Anthropologie, various pop-ups, local artist vendors and a variety of other eclectic shops to find what you are looking for.

Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market

3.The High Line: On a beautiful sunny day this is the perfect spot to spend your afternoon. Running from Gansevoort street in the Meatpacking district to West 34th street between 10th and 12th; you can walk through what is almost two miles long of an old train track, admiring the classic skyline of Manhattan. The best part is, it’s free!

The High Line
The High Line

4.The Whitney: This museum that is strictly devoted to American art is located at 99 Gansevoort street. It is chock full of amazing artwork from some of today’s most popular American artists. If you are a sucker for anything modern or contemporary then I am sure you will fall in love with something, and if not the art, then you definitely will obsess over the view The Whitney has to offer overlooking the ever-changing skyline. When you are done drooling over all the museum has to offer, you can browse their awesome gift shop and sit down at The Whitney’s prestigious restaurant, Untitled. (Do not forget to use your FIT ID for a student discount on admission!)

The Whitney Museum
The Whitney Museum
Untitled at The Whitney

5.The Style Shop: Full of funky vintage finds, designer jewelry, and awesome FIT apparel there is no way you can leave this remarkable boutique without falling in love. Located right here on campus in the Dubinsky lobby, The Style Shop, run by actual students, is the heart of the Merchandising Society here at FIT. This savvy team does everything from buying to selling and makes sure every customer leaves with a bag in their hand a smile on their face.

The Style Shop via @The_styleshop instagram

Thanks for reading,

-Faith