The Blue Rainbow

Well, here’s my last blog of the season, *sigh,* it went by so quickly, a reminder to me that life goes pretty darn fast and you shouldn’t take ANYTHING for granted. Enjoy every second of it. 

Before class, I was sitting outside near the Haft Auditorium entrance in the metal high chairs and tables. I felt a little sad knowing it was my last class, but when I looked across the way, I saw something that caught my attention. There was a blue arch that formed part of the design of the outside of the building, and it looked like a “rainbow” hovering over the entrance. The blue of the “rainbow” matched my mood at that moment, but it also inspired me and seemed to say, “Miranda! Get it together! It won’t be the last time you’ll be at FIT!” (Ooh… foreshadowing, perhaps?)

Blue-rainbow

To wrap things up, we’ve been drawing the face – here’s my last homework assignment for FIT:

Me-and-portrait
It looked more like me at the time.

Of course, we also did some drawings (um, it’s a drawing class), but the best part of it for me was the critique. A critique is where everyone lays out three to five pieces of their best artwork and the class walks around and gives constructive criticism. So that means people say “I think you did this really well, but I think you could have incorporated more of that,” or “I like this technique you used, but it could use more ____,” and so on. This process always intrigues me because it lets me have a chance to look at art through someone else’s eyes. It always makes me feel better about the world to see other young people who have an interest in something and are committed to learning more about it.

Dancing-man
Quick two minute pose.

Thank you all for taking the time out of your day to read my blog posts. I hope you enjoyed reading about my new experiences as much as I enjoyed writing about them. It’s official – I completed my first precollege drawing class. Stay tuned – I hope to write more blogs in the fall when I take another FIT class!

Certificate

Until next time,

Miranda

Comments

4 responses to “The Blue Rainbow”

1. Jill Avatar
    Jill

Way to go, Miranda. The self-portrait looks just like you.

2. Inés Avatar
    Inés

Dear Miranda,
    Congratulations on completing your first FIT course!!!!! I hope you enjoy your fall classes as much as you enjoyed this course. I believe that constructive criticism is one of the best possible things for an artist to experience. I hope your experience at FIT will help you create a magnificent Lit Mag cover!!

3. Lucy Avatar
    Lucy

Hi Miranda,
    Finally! I’m commenting! I just wanted to let you know that even though it might not always feel this way, you are very gifted in the field of fine arts. I’m so happy for you that you had the opportunity to take this class and build off of and improve your current skill. Congrats!

4. Saba Avatar
    Saba

Hi! Yes, constructive criticism helps you grow as an artist and a person. It helped me multiple ways with writing. You are a really good artist and see things other people don’t. That rainbow arch is pretty cool! I hope I can read more of your blogs in the future!