Hey! That wasn’t supposed to change!

“Change is inevitable. Change is constant.”
-Benjamin Disraeli (British writer and politician)

I think this quote is legit; it relates to my experiences at FIT so far on many levels. But, before I talk about what has changed, I’d like to share a homework assignment from my class, Life Drawing for Middle School, that I’m proud of with you guys.

First homework assignment.
First homework assignment.

I had to copy this work from a famous artist. It was a master drawing, which is a drawing that is so accurate and complete that the artist barely had to have a model in front of them. Copying objects has always been one of my strengths in art and something I’ve always enjoyed doing. Stay tuned for more drawings to come!

Anyways, I’ve been drawing for quite some time now. I have realized that what really matters is how well you can draw from imagination and not how well you can copy a picture. Well, too bad for me since I sometimes have trouble drawing a human being that has 206 bones and 640 muscles. Yeah, it’s daunting. Speaking about daunting, my teacher Demetrio Belenky, is always telling us that the human body is never concave, but always convex. This means that the organs and bones, etc. inside of you are always pushing out, not caving in. In addition, he says that the human body is the most complex thing for artists to draw. Wow, thanks for building my confidence.

Okay, I’m not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but I’m just very grateful that FIT is helping me develop my skills in imaginative sketching. Visualizing what I want to draw isn’t my problem, nor is thinking or looking like an artist. It’s actually getting what I see down onto the paper, and so far, I can definitely see some improvement. So, I’ve been pushed out of my comfort zone (which is a good thing when it comes to creative work) for a change. Instead of copying mostly 2-D figures, I’m now drawing more complicated and realistic 3-D figures. It’s difficult, but boy is it worth it.

I could go on about my challenges with drawing from imagination, but I think you’d rather see some of my artwork.

Sitting-woman-picture

Measuring the body for correct proportion.
This was a long pose - 20 minutes.
Long pose – 20 minutes.

standing-woman-picture

Well, see you guys next time, as I continue to change on this fantastic journey!!

-Miranda

Comments

2 responses to “Hey! That wasn’t supposed to change!”

1. Jill Avatar
    Jill

I enjoy seeing your drawing progress as you move into more challenging assignments – the detail in the first drawing is amazing!!!

2. Inés Avatar
    Inés

Dear Miranda,
    Congratulations on your wonderful experience at FIT so far! I now see that this is a wonderful experience for you even if it didn’t seem enjoyable initially. You really seem to have improved as an artist. Your enhanced talent would have been extremely helpful last year during our family collages is Art. I hope you continue having a fabulous time at FIT with Demetrio Belenky who seems like a magnificent instructor.