Introducing Precollege Blogger: Miranda

Miranda-Goodstein

I’d like to be able to say that I’ve been expanding my drawing skills for many years, but to tell you the truth I’ve only recently started. Many people assume that most great artists were naturally born with the ability to paint a picture like the Mona Lisa, but don’t understand that it takes an extraordinary amount of ambition and drive. Drawing is one of those things where you can’t judge too harshly. I know from experience that kids can be very critical of their artwork and this is something I try to avoid. I feel that by keeping an open mind, your art will show more development and improvement.

My grandmother has had a huge impact on my artwork and my perspective of the world. Growing up, her views were completely different from her family’s. She loved all kinds of music, especially jazz, she married a man of a different race than hers (something that wasn’t done in the 1950s) and she had an interesting and spunky way of looking at the world. Her parents did not support her interest in art, and she never really did get to pursue her dreams. I’m like my grandma in many ways. We both LOVE music and art, but today I’m able to like whatever creative thing I’m into, a freedom she didn’t have. I hope that through my art, some of her determination will shine through as well.

At FIT, I’m taking the “Life Drawing for Middle School” class. I think FIT is a great way for kids to get some instruction in art, and it gives them a tremendous advantage when applying for art high schools and colleges. I’ve never written in a blog before, so I hope that it will expand my horizons and expose me to an awesome experience. I think my main goal in FIT is to put forth my best effort, that’s really all anyone can ask of me. I also want to construct a portfolio to help me get into Fiorello H. LaGuardia Arts High School. Once a month, I take sketching classes at the Met – they have so many beautiful paintings and art pieces; it’s very hard to pick only one to draw! I hope that FIT will challenge me to take risks with my artwork and give me the chance to let my true colors show!

Peace out,

Miranda

Comments

7 responses to “Introducing Precollege Blogger: Miranda”

1. Jill Avatar
    Jill

Can’t wait to hear about the new drawing skills you learn and how you apply them with your own special touch. Enjoy the journey!

2. Grete Avatar
    Grete

Wow! Miranda, this is absotootly amazing!! It’s so awesome to be friends with someone who has an immense amount of talent and creativity! Love the blog!

3. Inés Rossi Avatar
    Inés Rossi

Miranda, that was beautiful. I am ecstatic to see some of your new work and I hope that FIT improves your already wonderful art. I am very pleased and happy (not at all surprised) that you got into a stupendous program that will feature your talent. I am very intrigued to what you will discuss in your furture blogs.
    Good Luck!!!!
    Inés

4. Saba Avatar
    Saba

Hi Miranda: Your Blog is really really good. Here’s a fun fact: even though Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa and he is very talented. He never went to college or art school! This is a fun fact I learned last year in Ms. Bellavance’s social Studies the Renaissance. Pretty cool since the guy is really talented. Saba

5. Arthur Avatar
    Arthur

Such an intriguing, well-written blog! Looking forward to hearing much more from you in the coming weeks. It caught my attention.

6. Sara Avatar
    Sara

I’m finally commenting!

7. yLiv Avatar
    yLiv

Hi Miranda you’re writing was so inspiring! I hope you have a lot of fun taking this class
    -Liv