The FIT Surprise

No, I’m not talking ice-cream.

The Surprise Factor

Up until February 27, I thought I was alone and had a weird passion for computer graphics and digitized drawing and art. To my amazement, I was surrounded by geeks (really cool ones) like me when I entered room C230 and it felt pretty awesome. Kind of felt like my second home (JK, my second home is Starbucks… whose isn’t?) Anyway, I was really shocked to find that people my age shared the same passion as I did and it felt really comforting to know that I wasn’t alone. Sharing ideas and looking at others’ work for inspiration really helped me in a creative sense and way of thinking.

The Expectations

I thought I was a decent artist in the field of fifteen year olds out there, but as I always do, I was and still am looking for improvement. There’s always room! I’ve come to take precollege classes to improve (obviously) but also to get a real grip on digital design platforms and learn.

Unexpected Changes

One thing I did not expect to change was my open personality. And, actually, it changed for the better: I’ve done nothing but become more open since I am around people who I’m comfortable with. Usually it takes me a while to get to know people and become comfortable with them even though I am typically an open book, and, literally in one class, I found a group of people who scream my style! I have seen nothing but great things since the start of classes and it keeps getting better.

The (Developing) Hardships

Drawing has always been a weak spot for me, and I never really paid attention to it. I kind of just tried my best and made do with what I had in the past. Adobe Illustrator involves a lot of drawing… more than I’m comfortable with. But truly, the class is helping me learn to love it and tolerate it.

Bamboo Tablet
A Bamboo drawing tablet, via http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/hardware/fr/Wacom-Bamboo-2011.htm

However, one thing that really scares me is the digital pen. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about (if you are into graphics, you know the scare I’m facing), it’s a only a stylus. A stylus of death!! First, a drawing pad is plugged into the computer, and then you take the wireless pen and draw with it on the pad. It sounds super easy but it’s really frustrating and hard to learn, especially on a program based on vectors and straight lines.

A quote from my struggling friend, Sarah M.,

“When you first start using it all you want to do is scream because the smallest movement can mess you up, but it gets easier eventually… I hope”

Sorry ya had to read so much! It’s good for the brain!
Until next week,
Joey Criscione