If At First You Don’t Succeed…: A Conversation With Typhani Sheppard

Typhani
Typhani’s current work

The college application process is daunting and rewarding. It combines the best and worst aspects of academic pressure. Typhani Sheppard knew she wasn’t the best, but if she worked harder than everyone else, and didn’t just give up, she could succeed. Typhani story is one of perseverance, hard work, and dedication.

Tiffany SheppardTyphani was in the midst of finals week when, we here at Precollege got to sit with her. Typhani is currently on track to graduate from FIT’s class She was bright and chipper, a departure from how most college students are during finals week. Typhani joins us as former Precollege intern, who took part in our community outreach program, where students are able to fulfill required internships and community services hours as an office intern.

Going back to the beginning, Typhani’s story starts when she is just twelve years old. She discovered her love of drawing when she would sketch while her mother braided her hair. “I knew all I wanted to do with the rest of my life was draw.” Typhani had her heart set on going to FIT after high school. “My mother was in the fashion industry, and would always mention FIT, for me that was the pinnacle.”Quote

Typhani’s application process began in 2012, “I applied to FIT, Parsons, several art institutes, and some of the CUNYs.” At first, Typhani was rejected from FIT, “I cried.” Her backup plan consisted of Brooklyn College and Hunter College. “I finished my entire liberal art requirements and Hunter started to e-mail me about a choosing a major.” She decided that while Hunter was an excellent liberal arts college, she yearned for the arts and fashion-centric nature of FIT. In 2014 after learning a few lessons, she reapplied.

Every FIT student does a portfolio for their Art & Design application and this turned out to be the most difficult part for Typhani. “The flaw in my first portfolio was inconsistency.” Her first portfolio was littered with tiny mistakes that cost her. Typhani’s internship supervisor at FIT encouraged her to not give up and to make sure that she took note of all of the portfolio instructions on the Admissions website, when she reapplied.

“You have to follow the instructions to a tee,” Typhani says.

typhaniedress

Typhani was more determined than ever to create a portfolio that would get her into her dream school.  The second time around; she was more concise and professional with her designs and what she wanted to show.

“You can have great ideas but if you can’t present them well, it’s not going to go well.”

Typhani’s grit paid off and she was accepted. “FIT accepted everything but a theater class when I transferred” she says.

When asked if she had any advice for students who didn’t get in the first time she said, “Remember that this does not define you.” As we were wrapping up, Typhani had some wisdom from a professor that she wanted to share, “People who make it in the industry aren’t necessarily the most talented, they are the ones that work the hardest.”

Typhani’s early high school work:

008009010

– Matt