The Complexity of a Line – Sarah Saul

“If you do what you love, then you won’t work a day in your life!” that’s what mom says. I always thought Interior Design would just be flower, textured rugs and fuzzy couches and pastel wall paper- all that I love. And as for the worst, well the worst would just be the fabrics that are hideous. The hideous fabrics that you have to pretend to adore more than the client does. That is NOT the worst. I repeat, NOT the worst. The worst is, believe it or not, drawing a line. And that, that is a lot of work.

This weekend, my professor taught us how to draw lines. “Why is he teaching a class of young adults how to draw lines?” oh i’m so glad you asked. See in Interior Design it’s extremely important to understand the makings of floor plans, blueprints, etc. Again, I thought all fun and games. Nope. In order to understand the makings you must understand how to draw a proper line. The designer (and/or architect) must rotate their preference of a pen or pencil creating a precise line that it adequate enough to base measurements on. I have seen surgeries preformed, I have watched detectives solve murders and I was there when Vampires came back from the dead. Yes, this was just on Netflix and yes, I did not live them. But, these events were complicated, yet I managed to understand and follow what was happening. Though, drawing a line was far too complex. Hell, most of  the young adults in my class were struggling!
Untitled
RELATABLE MOMENTS WITH YOUR BLOGGER:
1) Rub your thumb against your index finger as if you’re representing money.
2) Separate them by a centimeter and continue.
3) Now, move them across air in a straight line.
CHALLENGE:
Do this on tracing paper with a HB pencil. Avoid ripping tracing paper. Maintain a pretty little line using any ruler.
Admit it, be real with me, it’s hard!!! The professor is very supportive and helpful. He comes around the working space and helps each student individually so we can perfect the line. At first, using the T-square on it’s own didn’t do the trick, I still wasn’t a line person. Then, the architect scale came along. I truly believe the architect scale and I have a bond, it’s got my back and now I am a line person.
Throughout our past classes, the professor has been emphasizing how important it is to understand the architect scale. This architect scale is very difficult, until it isn’t, then it’s easier than pie. An architect scale is a ruler with multiple sides that have different measurements such as 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2. I’ll hush up on the lesson before I actually (god forbid) teach you something… I may lose you. Anyway, like a human beings need water to survive, Interior Designers need an architect scale to survive. This tool can literally save ones life…artistically. Combine your rotation of your preference of pen or pencil with the architect scale and you get a straight line that is used in your floor plan, blueprint, etc.
Untitled
 In the beginning of class, I was so dismissive of achieving proper form and exquisite lines, but now with the help of FIT and my professor, I truly believe that I am capable of anything that comes my way, especially any scary lines.
Thank you for reading!
Xo

Comments

3 responses to “The Complexity of a Line – Sarah Saul”

1. Remi Avatar
    Remi

Love it beautiful!!

2. Nicole Avatar
    Nicole

Excellent job Sar!

3. sydney levi Avatar
    sydney levi

lol ur the cutest ~syd