Introducing Precollege Blogger: Matthew

Hello everyone! My name is Matthew Mallary, I am a senior at the Summit School and the newest Precollege blogger. I have been writing and blogging for 5 years and was editor-in-chief of my school’s newspaper last year.  I fell in love with journalism about 4 years ago when I joined the staff at my school’s newspaper. I enjoy learning and talking to others about whatever they find interesting. I have found that when you engage someone about their passion, their feelings will translate into an amazing discussion and considering that FIT is full of passionate students, I’m sure I will have quite a few great discussions. I find writing about myself to be difficult, so instead of answering questions, I’ll be asking them. I will be interviewing students from the precollege programs and blogging about them.

Matthew M BlogYou may be thinking about why I wanted this internship, you may also be thinking about other things…but in case you were wondering, I’ll explain. Fashion and art have always meant a lot to me. Both my parents work in the rug and textile industries and as a child, I was surrounded by art. I enjoy watching trends in the fashion world expand and progress, if you see me around the city, you’ll probably catch me in a pair of high-top Chuck Taylors. My style is simple, nothing too flashy or bright. I enjoy a good cup of coffee, walking around the city, and watching movies.Shoes Blog

The last thing I want to share with the community about myself is my love for hip-hop. I started listening to hip-hop at age 11 and started rapping at 13. I love everything from Drake to Dilated Peoples. Mainstream or underground. It’s influenced so many parts of my life that I feel like this intro would be incomplete without a brief mention of it.

I’m excited to start here at FIT, learn new things about art and interact with the creative minds here. If you see me in the hallways, feel free to say “what’s up” and tell me about whatever cool stuff you’re working on!

-Matt