Introducing Precollege Blogger: Emily

EmilyKellyHi! My names Emily, most people call me Em, and I live in Connecticut. I know, some of you are probably saying “where?” but I’m closer to New York than you think! Fortunately enough, I’ve been able to take 3 classes at FIT, including the course I’m currently taking this fall semester. The course I’m currently taking is HAD 150: Magazine Design with Professor Lerner. At the moment, we’re developing mood boards that will interpret our thought process and give the rest of the class a feel for what kind of aesthetic we’re leaning towards for our magazine. I’m actually really excited to get going on this project, I can’t wait to see what my classmates and I come up with!

Personally, I have a passion for styling. I love creating a look meant to fit a certain setting or person. Putting together the final product is one of my favorite parts of the styling process because not only are you in charge of what gets seen, but you’re also the one who makes sure the client is happy and has a look finished to its full potential. I feel too many people in this world don’t have a passion and I’m grateful that I have a passion which drives me and leaves me longing for it more.

When it comes to fashion and design, my interests are pretty much an open book! For the most part, I like following fashion blogs on Tumblr or Fashionista.com. Staying in the loop with designers current collections is interesting and quite exciting! I also like to go shopping, not necessarily to always shop but to look at how window displays are set up. For instance, Macy’s on 34th street had some funky displays over the summer; they were vibrant and engaging, I loved it! A random interest of mine is, of course, food. Everyone has a favorite food, mine being pasta and ice cream! Sticking on the topic of food, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is a must! If you’ve never had a pint of Ben & Jerry’s (yes you read correctly, the whole pint) you’re missing out. I strongly recommend the flavor, Boom Chocolatta, you’ll fall in love instantly. I also enjoy watching hockey; preferably the New York Rangers. I’m not into many sports but if you mention hockey I’m all yours. I love listening to most genres of music, except country. I also have a soft spot for the band One Direction. I know what you’re thinking but hey, they make me happy and I find that if someone or something makes you happy you should never hide it because it’s a part of who you are!

Additionally, I enjoy writing whenever I get the chance. Whether it be journaling or descriptive pieces, I find it’s a nice way to express myself and sort out my brain before a new day approaches and more nonsense takes over. I also like to exercise a few times a week, it gets my body moving and in all honesty, I feel great afterwards! I wouldn’t consider myself a homebody but I have a big family so I don’t need to depend on my friends to always hang out with when I have the peanut gallery sitting in the same house as me. I’m not sure if I would consider this a hobby or not but I like to make people feel better. Everyone goes through rough patches at points in their lives and sometimes it can even be an ordeal to get out of bed in the morning, no one deserves to live in a sour state of mind. I do what I can to be there when someone needs a person no matter who or what their problem is. Sometimes people need to know someone cares and that really can make all the difference.

On a lighter note, I’m eager to share my 2 cents with individuals like me on this blog because I feel it’s important we all learn from one another’s experiences and be able apply them to our own lives. I enjoy giving advice and a bit of insight to others, as well as hearing what other people have to say! There’s a billion different stories out there so when it comes to blogging, the more the merrier!

. “Do what you love and happiness will follow.” This is one of my favorite quotes because it holds true to whatever path you end up going down. Having an optimistic outlook on life makes each step of the way easier and more meaningful. In the future, I hope to be able to attend FIT in the Fall so I can dive into an industry that puts a smile on my face and enhance my knowledge in each exciting nook of the fashion industry. Fashion and design are part of so many different work fields so being able to immerse myself in it head first is extremely exciting! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for my ambitions and I as well as what paths I end up taking in life!

-Emily Kelly

One response to “Introducing Precollege Blogger: Emily”

1. tp Avatar
    tp

love it!