Instructor Spotlight: Carla Quatraro-D’Arcy

IMG_1749.JPG (2)

Carla Quatraro-D’Arcy began her career in the fashion industry of New York over 15 years ago, having held positions in Product Development, at companies such as Jones NY Intimates, Dana Buchman, DKNY Jeans, August Silk, Etienne Aigner and Private Label Handbag / Luggage companies. She is a seasoned traveler both personally and professionally who spent many summers as child visiting family in Italy and now her husband’s family in Ireland. When given the opportunity to visit a new corner of the Earth, Carla and her family pack up and GO!
Carla’s career in the fashion industry entails travelling throughout the USA, Europe and Asia to order raw materials for final product being delivered to the American selling floors. Her job entails constant research on foreign trade agreements, negotiating prices, dealing with budgets as well as intricate planning of shipping & follow through for on time receipt of products or services.
As a Director of Product Development, Carla has been able to take her in depth knowledge of world cultures to achieve positive results in her roles by working directly in factories in China as well as travels throughout the NY Garment district representing retail buyers from Latin America. Additionally, she travels across the US to visit headquarters for various retailers to effectively communicate product development requirements back to overseas factories and fabric mills. Her friendly demeanor, extreme attention to detail, strong organizational skills, high work ethic, and astute level of professionalism, common sense & confidentiality has a made her known in her field as a professional who holds high regard & consideration for other people’s customs, time and work styles.

Professor Quatraro-D’Arcy currently teaches: 
HIN 132 Passport to International Fashion! 

Teaching Philosophy & The Pre-College Programs:
Having attended many of the High School Live classes myself throughout my high school career, I find the classes we take as well as the people we meet at FIT become an important part of what shapes our path well into the future. For me, I took a few design classes which taught me how garments are constructed that later enabled me to look at a line in a factory and know where mistakes may be. Having completed a Bachelor’s degree in International Trade & Marketing at FIT, what I love most about the programs offered is that they truly do pertain to real life practices. We are taught by industry professionals who have in depth insider’s knowledge. I am a true believer that we are all interconnected in this Global life we now all live and if I can help lead by example and guide another person, I am truly rewarded in my life!

Industry Experience:
Aside from being a “FOODIE” who loves to cook, I am curious about what makes people across the globe “tick”! Having spent a lot of time throughout my career in Hong Kong as well as Mainland China, I love when people connect for a common goal. At the end of the day, we are all the same and we all have the same reason for getting through our days, which is to grow within our careers. I recently had a former colleague of mine from Hong Kong stay at my home for a month. She taught me how to cook authentic Chinese food while I taught her my secret Italian sauce recipe and how to make the perfect American Burger and Apple Pie! As mentioned in my Bio, my work experience is making products come to life across the world and making sure they arrive here for consumers to buy. That would not happen without getting to know what’s at the core of any company…. The People!

One response to “Instructor Spotlight: Carla Quatraro-D’Arcy”

1. Ruby Rojas Avatar
    Ruby Rojas

what is the class passport to international fashion about? what would be conducted in the class? what would we do and learn?