Introducing Precollege Blogger: Elizabeth

ElizabethDonohue_precollegeblogger

Hey! I’m Liz and I’m a junior in high school who’s currently “struggling” between SAT’s and FIT. The “struggle” is completely worth it, I might add. Considering this is my first post, I find it necessary for you to know at least these very fine key details about me: starting with the fact that my entire life has revolved around fashion since approximately the fourth grade. Starting off as a shy, pudgy girl with bangs and braces, I was enrolled in a fashion class for god-knows-what reason. And yet it was the best thing to ever happen to me, sitting down next to this wonderful instructor and being taught how to draw my first croquis. In tenth grade I took the train for the very first time by myself into the city to start a pre-college course at FIT. I remember it was a business course. I also remember that I was more excited to design the website and clothes for my imaginary business than I was to actually run my imaginary business. At the beginning of eleventh grade I took a course in the fall on magazine design. I’d always been interested in photography and journalism so I used this opportunity to feature my own pictures and articles in my magazine. During this time I started seeing clothing, entertainment, art, music all the things I love, as things I could capture through my work. Whether it’s through writing, photography, sketching, or even doodling on all of my Chemistry notes (true story), the thing that brings all of my interests together is my desire to create and admire other people’s creations.

My inspiration comes from young women in the industry like Tavi Gevinson, creator of “Rookie Mag”. I am also an avid reader of Leandra Medine’s “Man Repeller”, the very reason why I bought white jelly platforms and will forever be trying to pull off any form of turtle necks and overalls. Olivia Bee photography and Gia and Sofia Coppola films such as “Palo Alto” and “The Virgin Suicides” really get me in that dreamy, ethereal teen-angst zone that pretty much fuel my ideas for photos and art.

Part of my fashion dedication also goes towards working at a local clothing store- which involves way less glamourous things than I wish it did. The things that I do love about it, however, like successfully styling a costumer and seeing their face light up at their reflection in the mirror, are what make it all worthwhile. The discount also helps with my proclivity towards bank-breaking clothes and all.

During my spring semester at FIT I am taking “Creating the Fashion Figure Level 1” to experiment more in clothing design and sketching. On the other hand I am also taking AP Photography at school and plan on officially mastering the dark room development process WITHOUT permanently damaging at least one film strip per try. I think I may just get there.

~Liz

3 responses to “Introducing Precollege Blogger: Elizabeth”

1. Pyruos Film Avatar

This is a good post

2. John Avatar
    John

Hi Liz! I would have to say yes it’s worth it for sure and keep being AWESOME!!!!

3. biztip Avatar
    biztip

Good post keep writing.