Introducing Precollege Blogger: Emerson

EmersonKobak_Precollegeblogger

Hi! My name is Emerson Kobak and I am in ninth grade. I am 14 years old and I am taking two classes at FIT. My experience here so far has been amazing. My teachers are great. My school does not offer any fashion related courses, so making an hour and a half journey from Connecticut to the Big Apple is like heaven. I look forward to my week ending and being able to be in a classroom of people that I can connect with due to our similar interests. It’s nothing I have ever experienced before because there are very few students at school who are interested in the same things as me. I am currently taking Sewing for Fashion Designers and Creating the Fashion Figure.

I am very passionate about fashion, sewing, fashion designing and fashion illustration. I have been sewing since I was 6 years old. My grandma taught me how to hand sew, and then I taught myself how to sew on the machine. When I was about 8 years old, I started my own business. It was called LOXO (lots of hugs and kisses). I made pillows, phone cases, recorder cases, and more items made from fleece. I sold my things at people’s houses and selling booths at “shows.” I loved doing this. My first big project I made was my Bat Mitzvah dress. My Bat Mitzvah theme was fashion, and I made and drew many of the decorations. The dress took a lot of mess ups and time to make, but I was very happy with the outcome!

I currently help make the costumes for my school theater program. I go every day after school. This has been a fabulous experience! Instead of finishing my day of school and going to play a sport, like most students, I get to do what I love every day! The last play that was done was Hello Dolly and we just finished Sweeney Todd.

I love expressing myself through my style everyday at school. I always make unique fashion choices, and do not worry about what everyone else is wearing. I do sometimes get looks in the hallway for dressing differently, but I only dress for myself. I love dressing up. One day I came to a realization: why hide myself of what I really want to be and what I want to wear, just to fit in, and not stand out? I realized I want to stand out. I love fashion, so I decided to go against the norm and be myself. I also love making my own clothing to introduce different clothes to my wardrobe! (I made the skirt I am wearing in the photo)

I have just recently started blogging. I’d always wanted to start a fashion blog to share my ideas and outfits with others. I take photos of my outfits in the morning when I think they are “photo worthy”,  so I thought: why not have a place to put all of them? I love blogging because I like to use my voice as I write to show the world (or the few people who may actually read my blog;)) who I am. (emersonisa.weebly.com)

Thanks for reading!!:):)

~Em

2 responses to “Introducing Precollege Blogger: Emerson”

1. Brian Stein Avatar
    Brian Stein

Good job Emerson! Keep up the great work.

2. OOTB Tutoring Avatar

Loved your blog Emerson. Keep up the good work! Wishing you all the best for future.