Introducing Precollege Blogger: Catherine

LyonsA “Formal” Introduction

Precollege classes for spring 2014 have begun! For the next few months we’ll all be attending our selected course/courses, hopefully learning a lot, and pursuing our passions.

– Hello, reader! My name is Catherine and I am a spring 2014 Precollege student at FIT. I am 15 years old (16 in about 3 months) and I live in N.Y on Long Island. This past fall I took my first Precollege class, Creating the Fashion Figure. If you don’t know what this class entails it’s essentially the basics of fashion design. This course was a great starting point for me because I was not sure just where my interests in the fashion industry had lay yet. But being the mediocre drawer that I am, that course helped me realize that my interests and talents lay better with the business side of the fashion industry. Now with that positive narrowing of my future in fashion I gained, I start this spring semester enrolled in the course The Ins and Outs of Fashion Merchandising and I am very eager.

Just like everyone else (I assume) enrolled in a fashion related Precollege course I love fashion and have loved it from a young age. I love everything about fashion, from its history, to just everyday street style, to high fashion, and etc. I love reading fashion magazines, books, and blogs, and watching fashion related movies and documentaries. And I don’t even want to know how many hours I’ve spent scrolling through the ever so important style.com. Everything fashion related excites me. I feel like a fashion “nerd” a lot of the time – that’d be the correct term I guess? (If not it very well should be!). But other than fashion (I won’t be deadly specific with this) some other interests and passions of mine I guess are quite typical things like art, music, and film.

As I said before I am very excited for this Precollege semester. I’ve already been to one class of The Ins and Outs of Fashion Merchandising on March 1st. And so far I feel like this class is really tailored toward my interests in the fashion industry. Of course from the title of the class you can tell we will be learning about merchandising. But we also will be taking trips to The Museum at FIT and to stores around Manhattan. I’m very thrilled to be blogging and sharing this experience because I really feel that by the end of this semester I will have grown and have learned a lot as a person and as a lover of fashion. I hope to share as much as I can, thanks for reading!

Catherine