My First Day

It felt great to back in Chelsea soaking up inspiration from the masses of stylish teens hanging around FIT on the first day of class. I came in a little early to meet up with my friend Nicole, who I met last summer in the HAR 091: Anatomy of Fashion class. While grabbing some pasta and veggies at one of our favorite local lunch spots, the Green Tomato, Nicole and I caught up and talked about how excited we were to meet our new professors and start learning.

After chatting and enjoying the gorgeous weather, I headed up to my HAD 150: Magazine Design class, where several rows of Mac desktops equipped with every design program imaginable awaited. Professor Lerner handed out the course syllabus, which outlines the magazine project I’ll be working on through out the next three weeks. She then described the different types of publications we could create, such as consumer magazines, trade papers, and educational journals. Next, she had the class sketch out ideas for a magazine cover, and then we brought our concepts to life by playing around with typography in Adobe Illustrator. As I glanced around the room, I noticed that many students, myself included, already had a clear vision for their magazine. With guidance from Professor Lerner and high tech tools at our fingertips, I know our ideas will develop into beautiful, professional-looking magazines.

During the class break  I met Sophia, and after I dorked out about how cute her outfit was, we ran over to starbucks for a quick sip before returning to class. Then Professor Lerner checked in with each student to make sure we were getting the hang of Illustrator. It seemed that everyone was having fun experimenting with the different fonts, colors, and arrangements. Before I knew it, class was over, and it was time to head home and recharge for all that that awaits on day two of Summer Live 2012. On the train I unwound from the exciting day with some music and—what else—a magazine.

Until Next Time,

Lindsay