How Do You Juggle Your Schedule? Here’s How I Do It…

Today, as I sat in US History class, I watched as my teacher taught about inflation during the early 1900’s. However, I couldn’t focus… I was busy thinking about his simple button-up and how the shoulders were slightly too loose. I was imagining how it could be reconstructed for a better fit. All these things to be taken into consideration as I make my first blazer out of a gorgeous, long sought-after baby blue and yellow brocade (my obsession since fall).

I guess I missed my FIT classes too much!

These days, everything is getting so competitive. More and more people are applying to SUNY schools because they are so much more affordable. Of course, like any other student trying to get into their dream school, I try my hardest to meet all of the requirements needed to get in. Some times of the year are harder than others…like midterm week, finals week, the end of each quarter, and before big breaks. I’m also very competitive with my extra-curricular activities.

But how do you manage all this stuff? I’ll show you how I do it (or sometimes don’t, but should):

• PRIORITIZE. What comes first this week? Is it your Chemistry test or your Art History day trifold? Always go with what comes first.
  • PREPARE. You don’t want to be cramming for those SAT’s last minute. Use big breaks to read  your review books, catch up on art projects, and meet up with old friends (that way you don’t feel so bad blowing them off when you’re busy later). Knowing what you have to do is half the battle, it’s so much harder to get things done when you can’t remember what you have to do!
  • LISTS. I use the long commute I have to school (45 minutes) to do homework, and sometimes I make lists of art projects I have to do and put them in order from greatest to least importance. This is another part of preparing and always helps when you actually know what you have to do that day.
  • GIVE MORE TIME THAN NECESSARY. Sleep is always important, especially if you need a lot of focus during school. I know that getting more sleep keeps me way more concentrated, and that’s important because it means less studying later. Don’t overbook yourself and then miss out on your beauty sleep (a good way for getting good sleep to stay focused is exercise). Only plan to work on one or two projects a night, depending on how much homework you have.
  • RESPONSIBILITY. I know exactly how hard it is to look at a boyfriend’s sad puppy eyes and say, “No, we can’t hangout for the 3rd day in a row. I have work to do,” or having to send a remorseful text to a friend you haven’t seen in weeks canceling girls night because something urgent came up. I’ve learned a lot of responsibility in the last couple of years, and take it from someone who knows, there will always be parties on Friday nights the day before class. But what you learn the next day could be with you forever. Your efforts do pay off, and it’s always better to celebrate them after with the people you love.
  • SOMETIMES, SAY NO. Being happy and sane is more important than anything else. If you’re so stressed that you’re not enjoying yourself, ease off the activities. I absolutely love creating art and would never want to take it for granted; so I give myself time with it and don’t push my boundaries. I don’t need to get a piece done in a couple days if I’m not going to love making it.
  • USE TIME WISELY. Like I mentioned before, I have a 45 minute commute to school (without traffic, Fridays get rough) and a 2 hour commute to the city on Saturdays. Every morning, I do my hair and makeup in the car and eat breakfast, and sometimes do homework. On the way home I always do school work, study my SAT book, knit, or like right now, hand bead a garment I’m working on. On the train ride, I mostly draw and work on my current FIT projects and study some more or read. I even bring flashcards on the subway sometime; you never know when you’ll be waiting around for 10 minutes for the next train. I’m also constantly on my blackberry emailing to keep up with different groups.

I like to stick to a schedule during the week; it definitely helps keep my mind on track. Right now, I go to physical therapy Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I take spinning classes Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, and I go to the city Saturdays. It gets really hectic…but I guess that’s my life. I thrive on keeping busy – it motivates me and pushes me to my limit. Things to get a bit crazy sometimes but you just have to keep reminding yourself of your progress and all of the positive things you have going for you. It’s always worth it!

Karlie