Thoughts on studying abroad | FIT in Florence

FIT in Florence

Thoughts on studying abroad

| 0 comments

If given a chance, I learned to always take it and do my best. As I’m sure you’ve heard, I was taught to never take anything for granted. And although the idea seems great in theory, in practice, it can be slightly more difficult than just “take the chance!” I’ve taken many a chance that hasn’t panned out for me or worked in my favor but, if I let that stop me, I would never go anywhere, never be anybody. It’s the chances that I’m willing to take that make me who I am. That’s why I’m here to encourage anyone interested in studying abroad in Italy, or anywhere else, to take a chance.

I am an FIT freshman in my second semester of study abroad. I have lived in Miami for most of my life. Here in Florence I’ve had so many opportunities since the moment I arrived! I had the chance to visit the Boboli Gardens which are far larger than any picture could lead you to believe. I almost burnt a hole in the sole of my shoe walking up and down the steps. I visited a farm in Tuscany to see how authentic Parmesan cheese is made and, let me tell you, it’s far more complicated than you could imagine.

There are so many awesome things to do here in Italy, made far easier by the FIT in Florence staff! The FASA events offered by the school are a great way to emerge yourself in the culture and learn new things that you could only read in books anywhere else. You are also given the chance to travel outside of Italy with FIT!

I traveled to the famous Paris, France, and had the opportunity to see the Eiffel Tower light up at night! Thanks to FASA, all the FIT students and I had front row seats via a tour boat on the water. It was as picturesque a moment as any; like a dream. We were also allotted time to visit Versailles, a truly beautiful place to be, the Dior exhibit, and the Louvre. Seeing famous paintings and structures in person leaves me with an indescribable feeling. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn’t be more grateful to have to chance to experience. Although I am a bit of a history nerd, I’m sure experiencing the Eiffel Tower in person is a magnificent experience for anyone willing to take a chance!

Venice was also a wonderful opportunity presented to us by the FIT in Florence group. Although it was cold when we visited, the Biennale was gorgeous and full of culture. There were rooms dedicated to different countries and galleries rich with ideation and expression. My group of friends got lost exploring the city and its winding streets! The experience was one that I could never dream of missing out on.

Along with the amazing opportunities provided by the FIT in Florence team, being in Italy also allows us the opportunity of personal travel. I myself have taken advantage of this opportunity to visit Rome and experience its sights. I threw a coin (along with my wish) into the Trevi fountain, I visited the historic colosseum, and I walked up and down the Spanish Steps. Rome was a lot of fun and something that I definitely won’t forget anytime soon! I plan to visit Poland during spring break and Ireland later in the semester as well.

Being in Italy is such an experience that I could never fathom putting into words. The city itself is a sight to see. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and I’m so glad I took this chance. It definitely worked in my favor! If you’re interested in studying abroad, I’m telling you, take the chance!