A Carnevale Ogni Scherzo Vale | FIT in Florence

FIT in Florence

A Carnevale Ogni Scherzo Vale

| 0 comments

“Venice is like eating an entire box of chocolate liqueurs in one go”

– Truman Capote

Bentornati to the Fit in Florence blog & Buon Anno as this is the first post of 2018!  

Here in Florence we are more or less a month into the semester and also currently in Carnevale, which means one thingV E N E Z I A. 🎭

This past Saturday I was fortunate enough to have the chance to go to Venezia for the day with some other FIT students to experience the Venetian festivities.  This was not my first time visiting the “City of Canals,” as I had been before during the summer months and also this past fall, but this was my first time visiting during Carnevale, and I was eager to see how this would change the atmosphere of the city.  

Venezia is one of my all time favorites places and I prefer it much more in the winter actually than in the summer.  Some people may say that the city is sad in the winter.  I don’t think so at all.  I think it is magic, suspended in the air and time.  So elegant, so relaxing, so quiet.  The fog seeping through the little alleys and over the water surrounding the city, making you feel like you are floating through clouds in a dream.  It is so poetic that, as I wander, I get lost in the history of it.  Maybe it’s this “magic” in there air which causes Google Maps to fail because whenever I go, my iPhone seems quite confused by all the little streets and doesn’t work, leading me to give up and wander around. But sometimes this is leads you to stumble upon the best things and places.

Any one of my trips to Venice wouldn’t be complete without Spaghetti al Sepia di Nero, my all time favorite pasta, a traditional Venetian plate, and of course, if you are not going to indulge during Carnevale in Venice, when will you ever?  My initial reaction though, upon arriving, was that Venice wasn’t much different from when I had been this past fall.  Maybe a little more crowded and yes, there were people walking around in masks, but mostly just tourists who had bought them in little shops throughout the city.  The difference emerged the night, when the city really came alive, along with its hidden identities and lavish parties.  Cue images of cloaked figures draped in black velvet and lace disguised in midnight alter egos winding through the alleyways 100 of years ago.  As I mentioned before, during the day, the city is quiet and calm, but when walking back to Piazza San Marco in the evening, the biggest and main square in Venice, we were greeted with the ultimate “past meets present” surprise.  There was a huge stage with a DJ and neon lights flashing all over onto the buildings and Duomo surrounding the Piazza. People were dancing and there was all the glitter and feathers you could imagine on masks and costumes. Having such a “21st century party” so to speak with a DJ and lights in such an old and historic venue was the perfect juxtaposition, another visit to Venice.