Oh, the Places You’ll Go! | FIT in Florence

FIT in Florence

Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

Last week, we got to experience a part of the semester that we had been anticipating greatly: FMM’s trip to London and FD’s journey to Paris. After going through the same routine everyday in Florence, we had been getting more and more excited as the days counted down until our academic trips began and, when they came, we were not disappointed. I went to Paris with the rest of the Fashion Design students and we were bombarded with appointments, trade shows, museum visits, trend reports, and much more and, through such a packed schedule, I felt as though I was truly able to experience an immense amount of what Paris has to offer.

Jumping for joy outside of Versailles!

Jumping for joy outside of Versailles!

Sacre Coeur in Montmartre AKA one of my favorite places on earth.

As a student who is minoring in art history and has taken many courses in that area throughout high school and college, I was extremely excited to be able to see all of the artwork that I had only viewed through the pages of a textbook before. Through a class trip to the Louvre and an independent visit to the Musée d’Orsay, I got to see many pieces that I know very well and, from Degas to Leonardo and Impressionism to Classicism, I got to travel through the entire art world just by walking through two museums. Also, not only does Paris have some of the best art in the entire world, but it is also universally known as being the home of high fashion and, through visits to the flagship Hermes store, the concept store, Colette, textile trade shows Texworld and Premiere Vision, the Aganovich atelier, and some of the oldest department stores in the world, we design students were completely overwhelmed with inspiration and design ideas!

The Nike of Samothrace... a statue I've dreamed of seeing since I was 14 years old.

The Nike of Samothrace… a statue I’ve dreamed of seeing since I was 14 years old.

"Poppies" by Monet in the Musée d'Orsay.

“Poppies” by Monet in the Musée d’Orsay.

After the Paris trip ended, we had the choice to return home with the school or go off on our own for some independent traveling for a few days and my friends and I decided to fly to Dublin. Coincidentally, we were not the only ones who thought that this would be a fun trip that weekend because what seemed like half of the entire program ended up on a bus trip to the Cliffs of Moher together! The Irish countryside is breathtaking and like nothing I’ve ever seen before and, after a long, busy week in Paris, a realizing and carefree adventure in Dublin was exactly what we needed.

A surprise FIT reunion at the Cliffs of Moher in Dublin!

For those of us who choose to study abroad for the travel experience, trips like these cannot be anything less than absolutely incredible. Just being in Florence by itself is amazing but, when you get to visit other countries and experience various cultures, you recall what brought you overseas in the first place: your love to travel, explore, and get out of your comfort zone. Whether school-organized or independently-planned, any voyage you take in Europe will bring you unforgettable memories and experiences, and this I guarantee.

The breathtaking Palace of Versailles.

The breathtaking Palace of Versailles.