Florence: A New Home | FIT in Florence

FIT in Florence

Florence: A New Home

| 6 Comments

When you move to Florence, you never really get over how beautiful your new home is and how many surprising things you can find out about it everyday. From the the very first moment you step onto the gorgeous Polimoda campus to the glimpse of the Arno you see each week while taking the tram to the Design Lab, nothing about this city is anything less than breathtaking.

View of Florence from the top of San Niccolò Tower.

As I’ve settled into my new life and school schedule here, I’ve found that I’ve become greatly accustomed to the “Italian” way of life, even though I arrived here only a month ago. I know that, when I return to the United States, I’ll miss hearing Italian spoken everywhere, the daily cappuccino breaks, and even the business hours of stores and restaurants, which I thought were strange at first but have now grown used to. Here, dinnertime doesn’t start until at least 7:00, so most restaurants don’t even open until that time, and many stores close for an hour or two for lunch! However, even though it takes a while to figure out when shops will actually be open and how visiting them can fit into your schedule, there are amazing businesses here. One place that I fell in love with was the Todo Modo cafe and bookstore, which is located at Via dei Fossi 15. This is the perfect place to get some work done or just relax with a coffee and it is really close to Polimoda.

Iced almond coffee and homework at Todo Modo.

Florence is also the perfect place for anyone who loves art because it is plentiful here and you will always be visiting museums, cathedrals, and an endless number of beautiful places. I highly recommend taking the Renaissance Art History class because, in this course, you will visit a different landmark each week and learn about the history of Italian art and architecture through actually seeing the pieces firsthand rather than through a textbook. Also, if you are a design student and have an extremely heavy workload and feel like you don’t have time to explore Florence as much as you want to, this class forces you to see the sights each week!

The Boboli Gardens at Palazzo Pitti.

The Boboli Gardens at Palazzo Pitti.

I’m sure that, as this year continues, I will keep stumbling upon hidden gems in the city and notice more spectacular things around me. Florence is an endless treasure box full of beautiful architecture, cobblestone paths, and enticing gelaterias on every corner and it is a magical place that I am happy to call home.

Florence at night.

The sunset over the Arno.

6 Comments

1. Great article Ro! Enjoy your time in Firenze!

2. Rose! Thanks for blogging, I want to go to Florence as well. Have a great semester.

3. What a beautifully written photo blog of your experiences in Florence. Makes a person want to be there with you. <3