One Step at a Time

Exciting news!!! My little sister has booked a last minute spring break trip to NYC using my saved up Chase Freedom points so she’ll be here from this Friday to Wednesday! But best of all? Because I ”paid” for the trip, I get to slave drive her for the entirety of her visit. I mean, it’s really only fair. God, I love little sibling intern (slaves)!

Anyway, added and sewed all the boning channels today. Took me a few tries to dye them the color I wanted so it took longer than I had initially planned, but they’re finally on there! The length of my boning channels are 3/8”, typically they are 1/2” but I personally prefer the look of the slimmer channels even though they are harder to sew. For boning, I chose to use spiral boning for this dress because spiral boning tends to mold over the curves of the body better and is more comfortable for the wearer.

Like all types of boning, it is possible to cut steel spiral boning down to the size you want on your own. However, it definitely isn’t a matter of using your scissors to cut it down. Trust me, your scissors will lose. I was determined and learned that the hard way my third semester.

For the best results, it is best to go get heavy duty wire cutters from somewhere like Home Depot. Don’t try going to a fabric store for this, they usually overcharge for something that won’t even cut steel properly. Remember to take seam allowance into consideration when deciding your boning length. Your spiral boning will destroy your sewing needle on impact.

After you cut the steel, you will be left with a sharp jagged edge that is no longer protected by a rounded tip. Worry not, for a small price these tips can be purchased separately. The hard part comes with attaching the tip. My friend Yecca taught me the best way to tip the spiral bones is to use a pair of needle-nose pliers and a pair of linesman pliers. Holding the bone and tip with the needle-nose plier and using the linesman plier to hold the edges in place, apply as much pressure as you can at the same time on the tip. This should secure the tip in place. If not, repeat until desired results are achieved or ask for help from someone that is stronger.

To my knowledge, these are the places that sell spiral boning:

Steinlauf & Stoller
239 W 39th St (between 7th Ave & 8th Ave)
New York, NY 10018
(212) 869-0321

http://www.steinlaufandstoller.com/

I usually get my bones here. It is $.50 per bone and $5.00 for a dozen. I believe, they have them precut from 3” all the way up to 15”, but don’t quote me.  Tips are $.10 each, $1.00 for a dozen and I think $7.20 for a gross (144 pieces). Be warned though, S&S is only open Mon-Fri and closes promptly at 5pm.

Sil Thread
257 W 38th St (between 7th Ave & 8th Ave)
New York, NY 10018
Rumor is that they will cut according to the size you need, but I have yet to go there to confirm those rumors.

Pacific Trimming
218 W 38 St (7th ave & 38th Street)
New York, NY 10018
(212) 279-9310

http://www.pacifictrimming.com/

I have only ever gone here for spiral boning during emergencies, because their prices for boning tend to be a little pricier than Steinlauf which adds up when you buy mass quantities. 

I’ve been relatively nervous about whether or not I made the right decision for making my skirt so full – it is fuller than a full circle – after I added in the 4” horsehair which has made it jut out in the most unflattering manner. So after I finished the boning channels and inserting the boning in, I started nervously tacking the many different shades of red hand dyed flowers onto my dress to see if it would weigh down the dress as I had originally thought. 
A bagillion hours later…

…Yup, I’ve definitely got a long way to go, but it does look like it will sit much better after I sew on all my flowers.

On the bright side, at least I’m at a comfortable point for tomorrow’s fitting.

One thought on “One Step at a Time