Red Carpet Bingo: 2018 Oscars edition

The Oscars 2018 coverage gave plenty of airtime to #metoo spokeswomen, Mira Sorvino, Ashley Judd and Salma Hayak (Eric McCandless via Getty
The Oscars 2018 coverage gave plenty of airtime to #metoo spokeswomen, Mira Sorvino, Ashley Judd and Salma Hayak (Eric McCandless via Getty Images)

Hi, everyone!

As you know the Motion Picture Academy Awards were presented last Sunday evening in front of a celebrity-rich audience. And that means clothes! What and who were they wearing, and what does that mean to prom and formals season for the rest of us?

Last week I reposted our Red Carpet Bingo card, and today I’ll run through it and note high- and low-lights of last Sunday’s show. My opinion, of course. Leave yours in the comments!

But first, some looks that made me just want to stand up and cheer:

Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke and Danai Gurira. Photo for Getty Images.
Lupita Nyong’o, Winston Duke and Danai Gurira. Photo for Getty Images.

Lupita Nyong’o’s awesome, funky gold Versace gown. Bring it, Princess!

Shout out to the several forest green gowns. My favorite color in gorgeous silks: can I have one? Octavia Spencer, Ciara Wilson, and Haley Bennet rocked them!

I also loved Leslie Mann’s unusual bias strips Anna Valentine gown. It was creative, it moved well, and it was different.  Ditto for Paz Vega whose Christopher Bu gown was probably the most creative on that carpet.

Ditto to Zendaya’s pretty chiffon dream. The asymmetry worked nicely with the softness of the layers.

Final shout out to Mary J. Blige for working that Versace with panache!

Didn’t want to see that!     If anything, the reverse was true. Notable instead were the modest gowns. The pendulum swings, don’t it?

Frankendress:     Andra Day without a doubt. Versailles meets Wamsutta! Stop it, Zac!

Skating Partners:     This year it goes to Violetta Komyshan & Ansel Elgort in their his and hers Tom Ford.

Earrings ate your face!     Not this year. So many fewer risks were taken, especially with the jewelry this year.

Saoirse Ronan. Photo by Kevin Mazur for WireImage.

Blond on bland:      Saoirse Ryan’s pale pink Calvin Klein. Pretty dress, but she just disappeared into it. Runner up had to be Elisabeth Moss.

Yes, it’s art, but???   The stars just didn’t go that weird this year. Maybe the lampshadiness of Zoey Deutch’s Elie Saab? But compared to past years…

Mermaid slink:      I give this to Sandra Bullock for her lovely Louis Vuitton.

Giant meringue:    Camilla Alves, I think. I wanted to like this for its interesting cut, but something in the proportions didn’t work quite right. It was more interesting in motion than still, but still.

Woebegone whimsy:      I felt that Mira Sorvino’s big gown, by Romona Keveza, felt a bit wilted, which is a shame because her message was awesome!

Ciara Wilson at the Vanity Fair afterparty. Photo by John Shearer of Getty Images.

Glinty rocks:    This year goes to Chadwick Boseman, wearing sparkly Givenchy, who did not go quiet into that red carpet!

When ruffles go bad!     This goes to Ciara Wilson in her Alexandre Vauthier wrap, but I kinda like the gown and I *LOVE* the color, so you are forgiven the weird shape of it.

Full metal frock:      Jennifer Lawrence in Christian Dior won this one. Shiny, but underwhelming.

Tuxedo tantrum:     I don’t think anyone earned this one this year. Maybe Alan Rippon’s Moschino mashup? But I want to cheer, not hate.

Not Netflix & Chill!   I think everyone pretty much brought their formal game to this show this year. No one looked like they were crossing campus instead of carpet.

Suited you:     I thought Timothee Chalamet worked his Berluti whites charmingly!

Armie Hammer. Photo by Kevin Mazur for WireImage.

Achoo!      Haley Bennett, I love this deliciously sensuous but odd choice!

Blood & Lipstick:    This goes to Armie Hammer for his sumptuous Armani velvet suit. He looked good enough to taste.

Pantsuit Prowess:      I wanted to give this to Emma Stone for her pert Vuitton ensemble, but I really thought it lacking somehow. Just. Not. Oh, meh. So maybe to Jordan Peele instead?

See right through me!     Thankfully, the worst of the sheer craze has died down. The actress showing the most seemed to be Taraji, but we didn’t mind at. all. Bring it, grrrl, you looked FABULOUS!!

Dear Prudence:      Sally, Sally, Sally (Hawkins), what *was* that?? (Armani Prive, but why!)

Gal Godot. Photo by Kevin Mazur for WireImage.

When *I’m* famous…!     I think I would have to go with Gal Godot’s fab beaded sparkliness, or perhaps Ciara Wilson’s dark decadant taffeta. But there wasn’t anything I really craved. It was an uninspiring lot, generally.

Invisible Man:     I’m sorry, Marcus Henderson. You were outmanned, out-tuxed, and out-classed.

Con is next door, hon:    Much as I want to support Salma Hayak in everything she does, I thought this gown was a lot like a bad Star Wars costume. Too much lampshade glitz and fuss and not enough… well, not enough of that.

Not 12 anymore:      For this I’d say Emily Blunt’s weird Schiaparelli gown. Why that lace there?

Sketch was terrific, but….     I give this to Nicole Kidman’s slightly weird, very structural Armani Prive. Not quite successful, although we always give her props for her willingness to go all out.

Oscars 2018 Red Carpet: Best Dressed, Dresses & Fashion

Oscars 2018: Fashion—Live From the Red Carpet

And in other meta commentary, here’s what missing celebrity Priyanka Chopra had to say about this same red carpet:

https://www.news18.com/news/lifestyle/priyanka-chopra-picks-her-favorite-oscars-2018-red-carpet-looks-see-pics-1681537.html

Red Carpet Bingo