#ChalkFIT 2017

Hi, all!

This week the illustration students began drawing that annual FIT event, #ChalkFIT. I got some pictures of the process as the work grew.

Working here gives us the chance to see the drawings evolve from the beginning sketches on to the fully realized murals.

Here’s the centerpiece starting from its base drawing.

This project gives FIT Illustration students high visibility in the Chelsea neighborhood. A lot of people stop to watch them and ask about the project.

The very beginning!

Last year the #ChalkFIT project was all along 28th street. This year the project has returned to 7th avenue. And it’s expanded from just the sides of the Pomerantz building to also cover the sides of the Goodman Center across the street.

It wraps around to 26th street on the back of the Goodman Center, and to 28th street on the Pomerantz building.

It takes the students about a week to get their images up. Here you can see how a student has her design gridded in order to make drawing the larger image easier.

The theme of the illustrations this year is “Dreams”. It’s interesting to see how so many different people end up with completely different images of that single idea.

What I’m really saying here is that, if you can, you should make time this weekend to walk down 7th Avenue to 27th and take a look at the cool stuff the FIT students have put on show!

All pics by me. Apologies to the students if I didn’t show your work. Or drop me a note if you want the images I took!

Enjoy the show!