Problems Receiving E-mail Using iMail

November 7, 2011 | By | Reply More

Ask IT: Question & Answer Forum

Hello Ask IT,

This semester I’ve been having an email problem: When some of my students email me, the “from” address is firstname_lastname@imail.fitsuny.edu.  If I reply to this address, the email bounces, but I don’t get the “Delivery Status Notification” for at least 24 hours.  What’s going on?  Where do these “fitsuny” addresses come from and if they don’t work, why are emails coming from them? It’s frustrating when we encourage students to use their FIT email accounts instead of their personal accounts, only to find that their FIT accounts don’t work well.

Thanks,

Brad Paris

Answer

Please have your students follow the instructions in the link provided. It will tell them what changes they need to make so you do not get these bounce back emails.

https://techhelp.fitnyc.edu/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/FaqActions/view?faqId=45

And  to expand on this, we do have a script that fixed this change automatically for most accounts but it unfortunately does not catch them all and a manual fix is necessary.  We have had to over the years change our email clients and protocols and this is a remnant of an older system.

So sorry for the inconvenience.

Meredith

Tags: , , , ,