New Blogger here from CSM

Hi everyone!

I’m currently studying abroad in London at CSM for the fashion design knitwear pathway. at FIT I will be in my 6th semester when I get back concentrating in sportswear. So if you are interested in applying for your 5th semester of fashion design I would say go for it! Just consider that the schools are very different from each other so the best advice I can give is to really keep an open mind and in a way forget what you have learned thus far and take in the new ways of learning while you are here for the best results.

This is what the walk to CSM looks like when you get out of the King’s Cross tube station (of course this was on a beautiful sunny day though. It’s not always like that)

The biggest difference I have found here is that CSM is very independent type of study. You only see your tutor (a.k.a prof) about 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours usually 10-4pm. and the school sewing machines and electrical equipment shut down at 5pm unless there is a night class (which I found a bit difficult when it came to the final project) so no 2am late nights like at FIT haha. But i guess they do that for a reason cause either way the tube (a.k.a subway) closes at midnight so you wouldn’t be able to get back home unless you caught the night busses. Also I only had like 2 big projects and then a group project in the beginning of the term so something I found helpful was not having to worry about so many diff classes at a time. I really got to focus, research and experiment more for an individual project which really pushed my creativity.

I don’t want to ramble so I will be posting frequently since my program ends next week and I want to be able share with you all as much as possible! without writing an essay haha. If you have any questions I’d be more than happy to answer them as soon as I can.

-Talisa :)

2 thoughts on “New Blogger here from CSM

1. Hey! that sounds awesome and i just had my interview for 5th semester last week. it didn’t go very well in my opinion… :/
    I was wondering what the selection process was like for you and when you heard back with your results. was it only one boy and one girl that get to go? also, did you apply for any scholarships?

• Hi Jenna!

I’m sure your interview went just fine. It’s always hard to tell with those things cause sometimes you can think it went terrible and it actually might have been perfect. and in terms of the selection process, I had to show my work, like whatever I had from the last 2 semesters to Prof. Karp who is in charge of study abroad and she then asked me a few questions like an informal interview more or less in her office. She wrote down all my answers on this application that needs to be filled out and then the rest really was just waiting and waiting. It took a while before I knew I was being recommended. Cause first FIT has to approve you and then you have to wait a few months till you hear from CSM themselves saying they’ve fully accepted you. I found out I was accepted by FIT in March and I didn’t hear officially from CSM till like June. So it really takes a while. But they take care of everything for you so you really just have to be on top of them and make sure you get any questions you may have answered. But their semesters starts so late so its plenty of time. and normally they send 2-3 people depending on what the space at CSM is like. For me it was 4 people and we were all girls in the fashion design program of course. so it’s not subjected to girls and boys its really just about your work, grades, and how well they think you’d work independently cause it’s very very different from FIT in many ways, so they want to make sure they send people who will be able to handle it. and I applied for the Geoffrey Beane scholarship cause at the time they had opened it to 3rd semester students so I applied and actually got the scholarship the following semester. so I used that to take care of some of the CSM expenses.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions I’m more than happy to help. you can email me here talisaalmonte@yahoo.com