Summer 2012 New Student Orientation and Security ID Cards
We strongly encourage all new Summer 2012 Precollege students to attend a New Student Orientation Session. No RSVP required. Choose the date and time that works best for you:
- Thursday, July 5: 11 am in the Great Hall (Enter on 28th Street just west of 7th Avenue)
- Thursday, July 5: 2pm in the Great Hall (Enter on 28th Street just west of 7th Avenue)
- Friday, July 6: 11 am in the Great Hall (Enter on 28th Street just west of 7th Avenue)
- Friday, July 6: 2pm in the Great Hall (Enter on 28th Street just west of 7th Avenue)
- Sunday, July 8: 11 am in the Great Hall (Enter on 28th Street just west of 7th Avenue)
- Sunday, July 8: 2pm in the Great Hall (Enter on 28th Street just west of 7th Avenue)
Question: What if I cannot attend Orientation?
Answer: You can view the slideshow of the presentation on our website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu/10602.asp. Parents and students can only explore the campus together on orientation days, so if you cannot attend the session, your child should print the classroom maps available on our Opening Day link (http://www.fitnyc.edu/10617.asp) to see how to navigate the campus.
STUDENT ID CARDS:
- All students in the Summer Live Program (July 9 through 26) are required to have a photo ID card before Opening Day (July 9). You may obtain your ID card at any Orientation Session or by visiting our Security Office during the hours listed on the details link above.
- Precollege Workshop students DO NOT require a photo ID card. They will ALL get a special workshop ID card at the entrance on July 30th. No need to make a special trip to the campus.
- Old FIT ID cards: If you have a photo ID card from a previous semester, GREAT! You do not need a new card. We will give you a Summer 2012 sticker for your card at the door on Opening Day (July 9th). No need to make a special trip to the campus.
For this Week’s Tip of the Week, we thought we’d go ahead and give you the Important Dates for our Fall Programs! It’s always good to plan ahead!!!
- Registration for ALL Fall 2011 Precollege Programs begins August 23!
- Registration Ends (Saturday/Summer Live): September 14, 2011
- Registration Period for Precollege Workshop Students: August 23 through November 4, 2011
- Orientation for New Students: September 17, 2011
- First Day of Saturday Live: September 24, 2011
- First Day of Sunday Live: September 25, 2011
- First Day of Precollege Workshop: November 12, 2011
- Thanksgiving Recess: November 26 & 27, 2011
- Last Day of Precollege Workshop: December 17, 2011
- Last Day of Saturday Live: December 17, 2011
- Last Day of Sunday Live: December 18, 2011
For those of you that don’t know, Workshop Programs are short programs that introduce students to some of the unusual and creative topics that we specialize in at FIT. In these four day programs, students take courses to learn a specific skill or technique, and leave with a Certificate of Completion for their portfolios or submit with college applications. Our Summer Workshops for middle school and high school students begin August 1 and end August 4. For this week’s Tip of the Week, we thought we’d fill you on on Opening Day!
On August 1, all Precollege Workshop students will report directly to the Great Hall located just west of 28th Street and 7th Avenue, thirty minutes before the start of class. Students will hand-in their parental consent forms, will receive their temporary Student ID cards and then proceed to their classrooms.
PARENTS: Parents may not escort students to the classrooms. Parents may drop-off and pick-up their children in any of the college lobbies.
SUPPLIES: Supply lists are posted on the same page as the rooms numbers.
ORIENTATION: Miss Orientation? Visit this page for the information you missed.
See you on Monday!!!
It is almost time for another wonderful summer at FIT!
In gearing up for our program, the one thing all new students should do is attend one of the many Orientation sessions.
At Orientation, new students and parents learn about the rules and policies of the program (calling in sick, earning grades, leaving early, security protocol, etc), find out about classroom assignments, are able to tour the campus with family, can make changes to schedules (upon course availability), obtain a map of the classrooms/campus, tour the FIT neighborhood, meet other Precollege students who live close to them and obtain Security ID cards.
Pretty important stuff, huh? That’s a lot of cool and important things packed into 30 minutes!
Here are the available dates this summer:
- Thursday, July 7 at 11am
- Thursday, July 7 at 2pm
- Friday, July 8 at 11am
- Friday, July 8 at 2pm
- Sunday, July 10 at 2pm
All students and parents are invited to attend the event located in FIT’s John E. Reeves Great Hall. You may enter on 28th Street, just west of 7th Avenue.
Additional Orientation information available by program:
All students registered for Precollege Summer Live programs will be required to obtain a student Security Identification Card prior to the first day of class. Students must come to the campus in person. All that is required to obtain this card is proof of registration – aka – your schedule.
To learn how to print your schedule, see last week’s Tip of the Week.
A large number of students decide to acquire their IDs during one of our various Orientation Sessions. As you can imagine, there are long lines during these days. For this week’s Tip of the Week, we thought we’d let you in on a little secret….
To avoid waiting in long lines during Orientation, we suggest that you visit the campus now! That’s right – you can obtain your ID any day of the week – even today! Just bring your schedule and show it to the security guard for access to the building.
Students may obtain FIT Photos IDs in Room D-404 Mondays – Fridays from 10am-9pm and on Saturdays from 10am – 5pm (except holidays – For all other times contact the Security (ID) office directly at 212-217-7777). This room is located in the “D” Building on the corner of 27th Street and Seventh Avenue. Please note, administrative offices are closed during the summer semester from Friday – Sunday, so no-one is around to print your schedule. Make sure you print it at home and bring it with you to obtain your ID.