Hi everyone! This past weekend my Professor invited one of his former students, Bianca, to come and talk to us about her experience working in the fashion industry. Since she works at the Macy’s a few blocks over she was able to take us there and really show us where all of her hard work ends up. As most of you probably know the Macy’s in New York City is literally heaven. With the endless racks of clothes, shoes, bags, makeup and jewelry I could probably spend hours there.
Bianca works hands on with the company INC by Macy’s dealing with people overseas, analyzing sales and thinking about new ways to incorporate new details on to their clothing pieces. She was seriously the sweetest person ever and answered all of our questions. Although she said working in this industry isn’t exactly how it’s portrayed in The Devil Wears Prada she told us her job has pushed her to work harder than she ever thought she could. One thing she told us was after working with a certain garment for so long, finally seeing it on the floor being sold is such an amazing feeling. That statement made me think about how it must feel to see an item go from a simple sketch to being sold to consumers. Wow. This trip allowed me to get the “inside scoop” of what working in the fashion industry is really like and I really enjoyed it.
On the other side of things, there are only two weeks of the spring semester left. I can’t believe it! It went by so fast! I’m going to miss all of the friends I have made in my class and I’m just going to miss the class in general. But, I am also very excited to start my summer Precollege class soon after that! For the class I’m currently taking we have an end of the semester project. I have to make a mood board and write a short essay about a brand of my choice. I of course chose Michael Kors because I am absolutely in love with that brand. I can’t wait to show you guys how it comes out!
Until next time,
Hi everyone! It’s been another long week of sitting in class nine periods a day listening to my teachers talk. I mean, come on, how is playing kickball in gym class going to help me in life? Anyway, as I’m walking to FIT on a Saturday morning, walking through the halls at school or even going to a concert I like to observe what everyone is wearing. It’s so interesting how someones lifestyle can influence how they dress.
A perfect example would be last Tuesday when I was at the 5 Seconds of Summer concert. Looking out into the crowd it was literally a sea of flannels, band t-shirts and converse sneakers. This made me realize how heavily the band has influenced the way their fans dress, everyone at the concert mimicking the band’s style. I’ve also noticed a diverse amount of styles walking down the halls of school. First, there are the jocks dressed in their basketball shorts, t-shirts, Nike sneakers and mid-calf socks. Next, we have the preppy kids wearing pastel colors, skirts, dresses and polo shirts. There is also that group of kids who like to dress casual and comfy in sweatshirts, t-shirts and sweatpants. All of this just goes to show that different lifestyles will have an effect on what a person wears. What kind of style do you have? What influences you to buy certain clothes?
I know I am completely switching topics right now but this weekend my Precollege class will be taking a trip to Macy’s so I will have to let you all know how it goes in my next blog post! I am so excited, I really feel like taking these little trips and learning about real life situations in the Fashion Industry really enhances the class and will get us prepared for a future working in the industry. I can’t wait to tell you all about it!
Until next time,
Hi everyone! This past weekend there were no classes and believe it or not my Saturday felt really empty. Im going to be very honest for a second. Going into this class I was really unsure if I was going to like it or not. I was also concerned that I wouldn’t be able to keep up or that I wouldn’t know as much as the other people in the class. Looking back on it I don’t know why I ever had those thoughts and doubts in my mind. This class has opened so many new doors for me. Its made me more independent, led me to writing this blog and most importantly it made me realize how much I love fashion. Its also led me to become more mature and I feel like I am on the right path now. Until taking this class I was really unsure of what I wanted to do in the future but now I know. Even though some people are haters and will say “Why would you want to go to school on the weekends?” it doesn’t matter because I know FIT is where I belong.
I really want to clear something up for anyone who is nervous about taking a Precollege class. Don’t be. You will make so many new friends and everyone in the class is there to learn too. Even if you don’t know every minuscule detail about fashion who cares? Taking a Precollege class has definitely changed my life for the better and I don’t regret taking it at all. I hope this makes anyone who had any doubts change their mind.
Until next time,
Hi everyone! Anyone who knows me would know that I am obsessed with watching award shows mainly to see what everyone is wearing. This past weekend was the MTV Movie Awards and I saw some styles that I absolutely fell in love with.
- Ellie Goulding: Ellie Goulding had on a beautiful white gown by Giorgio Armani. The dress was floor length, had pockets on the side and had slits near her stomach. She paired the dress with a pair of black opened toed Jimmy Choo heels. The dress was very flattering and she looked absolutely stunning.
- Shailene Woodley: Shailene Woodley wore an olive-green Balmain dress and a pair of black heels. This was definitely one of my favorite clothing pieces that I have ever seen her in. The dress was short, showed some skin near her stomach and it almost reminded me of a gladiator. I absolutely fell in love with this outfit the moment I saw her.
- Jessica Alba: Jessica Alba had on a white Piece d’Anarchive top, a green Kenzo skirt and Jimmy Choo heels. Her look was really fun in the way that it wasn’t as flashy as some of the other outfit choices were. While playing it safe and simple Jessica Alba was still able to rock the red carpet and land a spot on the best dressed list.
- Bella Thorne: Bella Thorne had on a baby blue Versace dress as well as Jimmy Choo heels. Her dress was really cute and classy. It had a floral design near her chest and one sleeve was long and the other mimicked a tank top. It was very tight-fitting but worked well with her figure.
I could go on forever about this and give you a list of my favorite and not so favorite styles from the red carpet. Did any of you watch the Movie Awards? Let me know what your favorite outfits were!
Until next time,
Hi everyone! Although it may not feel like spring, the warm weather is definitely around the corner. I don’t know about you, but I am really excited to started rocking some shorts and tank tops. In my Precollege class, we have been talking about some of the upcoming trends for the Spring 2014 season. I thought I would share with you what some of my favorites are!
- Crop Tops: If I could fill my entire closet with crop tops I would. I feel like they are so fun and affordable and you can style them in so many different ways. One of my favorite ways to style a crop top would be with a pair of high-waisted shorts or a skater skirt.
- Floral Prints: Floral printed things literally make me so happy. Just looking at them is like a breath of fresh air. It gives a “springy feel” to any outfit. I really love floral printed dresses and skirts.
- Lace: Adding lace to any outfit just adds elegance. I’ve been noticing a lot of white lace as well as lace accents on many tops. I actually just wrote an essay about lace in my Precollege class and it is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.
- White on White: I feel like white on white has been seen almost everywhere lately. It’s all over the pages of magazines as well as on the runways. One of the best things about this trend is that it is fairly easy to mix and match white pieces at an affordable price tag. Because according to Jessie J, “It’s not about the money money money.”
What are your favorite trends for Spring? Feel free to leave it in the comments below.
Until next time,