Check out some of these student animations from Summer Live!
This work comes from HGD 175 2-D Animation Using Adobe After-Effects (Level 2)
Used in producing television commercials, film credits, and web animations, Adobe After-Effects is software used by industry to create two-dimensional animations. Students will produce their own 30 second animations, text animations, and several other projects that may be viewed on any computer and used for portfolio submissions. Basic Adobe Photoshop knowledge required.
Major: Computer Animation and Interactive Media.
John Goodwin is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the department of Computer Animation and Interactive Media in the School of Art and Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Professor Goodwin has taught at FIT since 1994. He received his BA in Movement Design from California State University at Fullerton and his MA in Choreography from the University of California at Los Angeles. Professor Goodwin teaches the following course for Precollege Programs at FIT: HGD 175 2-D Animation Using Adobe After-Effects
Professor Goodwin’s Teaching Philosophy:
Animation is teaching kids how to make their own magic.
On Precollege Programs:
I enjoy it when they start showing up in my college classes. I have had two students from Precollege in my college classes now and they are so far ahead of everyone else!
Additional Comments or Suggestions?
The more students know about Photoshop – the better off they are. If you are going to take additional courses and you are interested in Computer Animation – I would suggest learning that before you come in, or taking it at the same time… you’ll be so much stronger.
- Citibank / Motion Graphics, Editing and Menu Design / designing presentations and tradeshow booths for Citibank for broadcast, tradeshows, road shows and In-house presentations with diverse playback formats: DVDs, AVIs, MOVs and PowerPoint Files
- SAGE / asked to create Animations for Chita Rivera, Terrence McNally and Kander and Ebb among others when they received life time achievement awards at the Waldorf Astoria
- Smith Barney / designing High-end presentations to match accompanying printed material in both PowerPoint and After Effects (ie. Brochures)
- Travelers Insurance / designing presentations for use globally in English, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese and Japanese
- Salomon Brothers / working in both Excel and PowerPoint doing charts for Wall Street presentations
- Fashion Institute of Technology / taught Photoshop, Animator Pro, Lumina Vista and After Effects
- School of Visual Arts / taught 2D Animation
- Trans World Airlines / designed promotion materials for brochures, newsletters, posters and display booths. (ie. Bloomingdales, JFK and LaGuardia Airport, tradeshows)
- Professor Goodwin has worked on projects throughout most of North America and Europe with: Bob Hope Show, Joffrey Ballet, Michigan Ballet, Pasadena Ballet, Owensboro Ballet, Capital GE, Price Waterhouse, Lehman Brothers, Emaron Shampoo (Japan), Nomura Securities International, Stanford University, Dance Theater West, University of British Columbia, Messner Vetere, Fantasy Fare, David Parsons Dance Co., New York Dance Exchange, La Mama, University of Arizona, Koln Opera, Fabulous Reggae Dogs, South Carolina Ballet, Moving Company, Spaeth Designs, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Tiger Temps, Salomon Brothers, Ernst & Young, Travelers Insurance, CitiBank.
- His Animations have played in film festivals and museums all over the world. (www.nutcracked.com)