Professor Kenneth Krug has been teaching in both the Communications Design Department and the Textile / Surface Design Department of FIT since 2007. Some of the courses he has taught through Precollege Programs include HTS 163 Designing Your Space: Home Décor and HAD 109 Drawing in Adobe Illustrator. Prof. Krug has a BFA from The San Francisco Art Institute.
Ken Krug’s author page: authors.simonandschuster.com/Ken-Krug
Professor Krug’s Teaching Philosophy:
I don’t think teaching or learning is a “one size fits all” proposition. In addition to lectures and demonstrations, I talk to each student individually in every class. It is important to me that each student’s needs, strength and weakness are taken into account in the learning process. The thing I look for most in students is growth from one project to the next throughout the semester. I also make a point of bringing examples from my own work to the class to demonstrate how the skills I am teaching work in the world outside of the classroom.
On Precollege Programs:
I find teaching in the precollege program extremely rewarding. I am continuously impressed with the level of commitment, skill and creativity that the high school students bring to the classroom. In addition I find that the high school students are eager to learn new techniques and ideas. I take great pleasure in being able to facilitate this process.
When I’m not teaching, I work as a designer, writer, illustrator and fine artist. I have created textile designs for the apparel and home furnishing market. I have illustrated a variety of books including cookbooks, gardening books, and children’s books. My paintings have been exhibited in solo and group exhibitions. In addition I wrote and illustrated a picture book, No, Silly! published by Simon & Schuster this February.
Some recent illustration work includes:
- No, Silly! — Text and illustrations, Simon & Schuster, Spring 2015
- Go, Train, Go! — Illustrations, Highlights Press, Fall 2014
- American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America by Michelle Obama, illustrations, end papers, hand lettering, The Crown Publishing Group, Fall 2012
Some recent exhibitions:
- 2011: The Rose Algrant Art Show, Cornwall, CT, group exhibition
- 2007: Book Paintings, The Free Library, Cornwall, CT, solo exhibition
- 2003: Subway Portraits, The National Arts Club, New York, NY, a multimedia collaboration with Susan Charlotte with performers included Ally Sheedy, Kathleen Turner, John Shea, and Treat Williams
- 2001: Thistles, Walt Meade Gallery, Roxbury, NY, solo exhibition
Awards and Featured Work:
- Original textile designs used in the MTV series, Skins
- Paintings featured on the set of the film, You Can Count on Me
- Certificate of Merit from The Society of Illustrators
- Certificate of Merit from The Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles