First Days and #Blessed

A wise philosopher once remarked, “first is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest/treasure chest.” Not only is this spotty logic (first is definitively the best, what are they even talking about?), but it’s not always true, because I had a great first day at FIT! I managed to dodge the morning LIRR ride thanks to the fact that my friend takes a course a few blocks away and was not down with lugging her architectural model through Penn (which I respect). After only minimal confusion, I was able to ride the escalator five flights up to my class. I take HSX 133 Fashion Journalism, and our instructor, Christina Burgoyne, is a senior editor at InStyle Magazine. It’s so cool to learn from someone working in the field, with a job similar to one you hope to one day have. Our class discussed the different types of articles you can find in any fashion magazine- service, news, and profile- along with beginning to plan the ones that we’ll write ourselves. My group chose to write our articles about the late (but really freakin’ great) Prince, and I’m so excited to work on it next week. Besides that, we discussed who our favorite people to follow are (in a non-stalker way) and why we choose to. In the age of social networking, in a sea of food pictures and #blessed, it still becomes evident who has the best personality- and these are the people who become the most successful. It explains why Man Repeller is so popular- every media outlet will tell the same fashion story, but I want to hear how Man Repeller will tell it, because I know it will be amazing. I had time to ponder this all on my train ride home, as I listened to Florence and the Machine and half-heartedly flicked through my copy of Les Misérables on the train (it was a long day and it’s 1300 pages of words to take in, don’t judge me). I can’t say this was an exciting read, but thanks for taking time to gaze at it anyways!

Hannah Zwick

a rare shot of flowers in NYC trees and not in Coachella hair!
A rare shot of flowers in NYC trees and not in Coachella hair