How To Make Friends At FIT

Hello readers! Happy Thanksgiving! As this holiday comes closer and closer, I am thinking about everything I’m thankful for. One of the things I am most thankful for are my friendships. My friends are so important to me and they inspire me so much! In the past weeks at FIT, I’ve bonded with my classmates over having to lay low on Friday nights so we can wake up early on Saturdays, our love for New York, and our passion for the fashion industry. I now consider my classmates as my friends because of this. When I started at FIT, making friends was what I was most nervous for, but it was actually very easy! Here are some of my tips for making friends at FIT (and in other situations too):

Complement Outfits

• If you like what someone is wearing, tell them! We’re all fashion students here so we all dress pretty nicely and from my experience, most people are willing to share where they shop or how they style their outfits. Complements in general often spark conservation which could lead to a friendship.

Exchange Social Media Accounts and/or Phone Numbers

• Follow your classmates on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, or whatever social media site you use! This helps you connect with them during the week and is also helpful if you have a question about an assignment. Exchanging phone numbers is good too because you can keep in touch with your classmates even after the semester is over.

Hang Out During Break

• At some point during class each week, we have a break that lasts about 20 minutes. During that time, my classmates and I walk down to the cafeteria, have a snack, and talk about anything and everything. Throughout these short conversations, we’ve gotten to know each other well. Without hanging out during our break, we wouldn’t know each other that well at all.

Be Open To Everyone

• Don’t judge a book by its cover- meaning don’t judge someone by their outfit! It doesn’t matter what someone is wearing, it matters who they really are. Even though someone’s outfit may not be your style, they might be one of the best people you’ll meet at FIT. My classmates all have individual styles, but we all get along great. Being different from your friends is often what makes a friendship.

I wish I would’ve known all of these tips before starting FIT, it would’ve been a lot less intimidating. All the people I’ve encountered have something in common with me: we love fashion! This main common interest makes it easier than you would think to make friends.

Have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks for reading,
Kenzie Davis