A few things FIT has taught me

NYCnewcropped“Never give up on what you want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts”- Albert Einstein.

Throughout the year and a half that I have been taking Precollege classes at FIT, I have learned many things, not only about fashion and putting together a great outfit, but also about life and myself. The first lesson I learned is that traffic lights and signs are more of a vague suggestion. Drivers will go where they feel like going, when they feel like going, and will not stop for you no matter how cute your outfit may be.

The second lesson I learned from my FIT Precollege experience is real responsibility. This class made me become far more prepared than I could have ever dreamed!! It has made me take on the responsibility of waking up early, getting to my locations on time, and having all the materials I need with me on hand. It has really helped me to grow up in the sense that in the big city you need to be your own best friend and rely on yourself to be organized and have everything you need taken care of ahead of time.

Overall, and I think most importantly, the biggest lesson I have learned is that a bottle of water in New York City costs two dollars, not four. And if anyone tries to sell it to you for four, you should swiftly walk away. Just kidding–although this is true.  The biggest and most important lesson I have learned from this experience is courage. I live in a small town that is quiet for the most part, and the idea of going to the city every weekend was the most exciting and most terrifying thing I could ever think of doing. So I did it. And from pushing myself I have learned that I am a lot stronger than I thought and can handle a lot more than I believed I could. At the end of my first semester class I was riding the train home with my FIT certificate in my hand and I will not ever forget the real sense of accomplishment I felt holding it. It wasn’t just a piece of paper, or even an award for completing that class; it was a symbol that I had grown as a person and pushed myself beyond any boundaries I ever thought I could push past.  I had overcome my fears, walked into the big city alone, and come out of the experience with new friends, skills and many life lessons.

These are just a few of the things that FIT and New York have taught me, and will teach anyone else who lets them!   I am thankful for this experience, and wish Happy Thanksgiving to all.

-Emily