Introducing Precollege Blogger: Emily

emily salamon headshot
Precollege is Prefabulous!

As my mother crossed the Verrazano Bridge after missing our train from New Jersey to Penn Station where I would attend my first Precollege class last spring, I started to wonder if this was all a mistake. I had many of the same thoughts that we all have. Will people like me? Will my teacher like my work? Will I complete something I can be proud of?

And most importantly, were these two-inch heeled boots the wrong choice for today…?

Fortunately, as I walked into my class, the first of many, all of my questions were answered. I was home. From this first class in Fashion Forecasting, taught by the funny, fashionable and fabulous Prof. Gary Wolf, I not only learned the skill of predicting every fashion trend imaginable, but I also learned a few skills on life and being confident in my skin (and two-inch heels.). Taking this class allowed me to move outside my comfort zone and into the concrete jungle where I met friends who I can honestly say I will keep for a lifetime, and learned skills I will carry with me everywhere I go.

This fall I am enrolled in, “HAR 016: Creating The Fashion Figure” class, which will help me to improve my sketches and enhance my portfolio. My goal is to apply to FIT in 2017 to the Fashion Design program, and learn all the skills the school has to offer. I am thrilled to be back in a Precollege class with students who appreciate my creative side and personal style. There are so few people in my suburban high school who share my interests, so coming to Precollege truly feels like coming home. It is a place where people share the same passion for fashion and respect for style, but most importantly it has allowed me to step far outside my comfort zone. As Elle Woods once said, “You must always have faith in people, but most importantly you must always have faith in yourself.”

Who am I? Well I am still trying to figure that out. But most days I am a girl who models her look after classic yet simple pieces such as the leather jacket, as well as trending street style. I love to sing and will continue to stand in long lines to try out for The Voice (word to the wise, wear a coat in Chicago); love New York City and the buzz and hum of it; and spend most of my time with a great group of real friends (Squad!) I feel most like myself in the city and at FIT, where I can invent myself or wear something outrageous and everyone says, “Go girl!” instead of my high school where the principal sees my outfit and says “Go home, girl!” I love being with people who understand my creative side and appreciate my style, and I appreciate theirs. I love that I have the chance to blog for Precollege and report on the exciting things that are going on every day in FIT class rooms, and maybe even bring new outlooks and aspects to the already wonderful blog!

Precollege students: welcome to your new home away from home!

-Emily Salamon

4 responses to “Introducing Precollege Blogger: Emily”

1. The Evan grant experience Avatar
    The Evan grant experience

Glad to be included

2. Paul Bullock Avatar
    Paul Bullock

Nicely written and a beautiful profile pic!

3. Erin Blatz Avatar
    Erin Blatz

Best of luck in your future, Emily!! I enjoyed reading your blog and hope to continue reading them!
    Your Mom’s high school friend,
    Erin Blatz

4. Beth Salamon Avatar
    Beth Salamon

Emily! This is funny and well written and fabulous, just like you. Smart and beautiful, you are.