Reflecting and Improving

Hi everyone! So this week, after studying for tests and working on projects and completing countless hours of homework, I decided to look at some of my “earlier work”. I think it’s really important to reflect and improve in life; reflect on what you have done in the past and improve for the future. Here is a dress I made a few years ago and a pair of shorts I made this week!
Reflect:unknown

unknown unknown unknown unknownAs you can see, the dress itself looks fine. From the outside, you can’t tell if anything in particular is wrong with it; but as you look closer, the seam holding the upper shirt and lower skirt together is just a simple, and not necessarily strong, straight seam. Prior to starting classes at FIT I could sew simply. I could setup my machine and sew a dress or pants or whatever it was, but I had no idea what each garment needed to work as best as it could.

Improve:

Unlike the dress, this pair of shorts is sewn with different kinds of seams, each seam is finished and the shorts are overall stronger than the dress is. I’ve also learned that I can’t just pick a fabric that I really like when making something because, although it’s really really pretty, it might not work for the project I’m trying to complete. If I find a fabric that I am in love with I will go home and design a garment that will work for that fabric, I will make sure that I am making a responsible decision regarding the project instead of just deciding what I am going to do and praying it will work!
I hope you have a great day and an even better upcoming week! Bye bye!
~Kaela

,