New Beginnings

Hi everyone! For those of you who don’t know me from last semester my name is Nicole. Last semester I took the Ins and Outs of Fashion Merchandising class and this semester I will be taking the Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing and Management class. I am so excited to start a new and exciting adventure at FIT. What I wanted to do with my first blog post of the summer semester is to kind of give some words of advice to people who may be taking a Precollege class for the first time. Here are some of my Do’s and Dont’s for taking a Precollege course at FIT:

DO:

• Try to find people in your class who may travel from the same place you do. It’s always fun to have a travel buddy!
  • Come prepared and on time. You want to make a good impression!
  • Try and make new friends. Although you may be one of the shy kids in your school think of this is a clean slate and let the other people in your class see the real you!
  • Try and learn as much as you can. If you really want to have a career in the Fashion Industry try to learn as much as you can so you can have some knowledge to take with you in years to come!
  • Grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks before class. Ok, this is of course optional but there is a Starbucks right across from FIT and if you are feeling extra tired one morning BAM Starbucks is there.
  • Have fun. Even though you are at FIT to take a class have fun with it and enjoy yourself.

DONT:

• Be nervous. Most likely everyone is going to be nervous its something new and very different but don’t worry everyone is super nice.
  • Be afraid to speak up. The professors love when students are able to bring something new to a discussion in class so don’t be afraid to share your knowledge!
  • Turn in assignments late. Turning in assignments late is a major don’t. Your professor is expecting you to be able to do assignments and hand them in a timely fashion so stay on top of things!
  • Be afraid to be yourself. This is your time to show your true colors. Being in an environment where everyone shares a common interest is amazing. You will meet so many people and make so many new friends.

I guess what I am trying to say is relax, don’t be nervous and be yourself. I remember my first day of class during the spring semester. I was so ridiculously nervous and now looking back on it I realized I shouldn’t be because it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

I wish everyone the best of luck this semester!

Until next time,

Nicole

2 responses to “New Beginnings”

1. Lisa Conway Avatar
    Lisa Conway

Awesome!!!

2. Darlene Avatar
    Darlene

Really good advice Nicole! I can’t wait to hear about your experiences in this new class!