Introducing Precollege Blogger: Izzy

AN INTRODUCTION, OF SORTS

So, yes, hello. My name is Isabell Geffner, Izzy for short, and I hail from Long Island. I am 16, and am currently going into my junior year of high school. This semester I will be losing my FIT virginity as I venture into the magazine design class in hopes of expanding my knowledge, meeting new people, and spending my summer doing the thing I love.

All my life I’ve had a thirst for knowledge, it could possibly be my most defining trait. Even if it’s the most seemingly irrelevant fact in the world, knowing for the sake of knowing is one of my greatest drives. I love being able to know everything I can, be it the fact that the word chivalry was derived from the French word for horse, cheval, or the fact that the first ever typeface was invented by Johannes Gutenberg, and was based off of the handwriting of the scribes, who had previously been the ones to create books. Knowing gives you a sense of understanding of the world around you, gives you new perspectives to look at, and information you could use in everyday life, even if you didn’t know you needed it.  I love knowing, and I believe that no matter how much you know, and no matter how long you’ve spent learning any topic, you could always know more. This need for knowledge is the driving factor in why I’m taking this class. I love design, I love talking about design (In fact, I never shut up. At this point most of my friends know the difference between a serif and sans serif typeface, and can properly identify between old style, transitional, and modern serif typefaces. I’m quite proud.), I love looking at intricate logos and thoughtful advertisements, and most importantly I love sitting down at my laptop and creating a poster or a website.

My passion for design along with my passion for knowledge has brought me on a never ending quest, to learn all I can about design and use that knowledge to become the best designer I possibly can be. I’m so incredibly excited to be enrolled in this course, to be able to expand my horizons, grow as a designer (and hopefully a person) and continue on this quest. I hope you packed your armor, and brought along your cheval, because it’s going to be an exciting journey.

Until next time,

Izzy