A Trip to the Flatiron District!

photo 1

Hi Everyone!  This Saturday, my Precollege Fashion Merchandising class took a trip to the Flatiron District.  The Flatiron District is a neighborhood in New York City, named after the Flatiron Building at 23rd Street, Broadway and Fifth Avenue.  The Flatiron District was really nice. There was such an array of stores and restaurants.  It seems like there is something for everyone.

photo 3For this project, we had to work in groups. My group consisted of myself and two other girls from my class. The assignment was called, Trend Spotting in the Flatiron District. What we had to do was choose a store and analyze price ranges, colors, fabrics and give an overview of the store as a whole. The store my group chose was Urban Outfitters located on 14th Street. A really cool thing happened on our way there. We passed by a store and outside modeling a wedding dress was Kate Gosselin! I thought that was really awesome. I can’t believe I didn’t get a picture of her.

When we entered the store, I was overwhelmed by the amount of clothes.  As a shopaholic, I love clothes. But I snapped back to reality and got down to business. Right away, I could tell that people in the store were hardcore judging us for taking notes, but hey I had an assignment to do. Something I noticed about the store right away was how expensive things were. I looked at the price tags on some items, and a pair of jeans cost anywhere between $85 and $100 and some of the shirts cost anywhere between $50 and $70. Even though it’s really expensive on my budget, you can tell that the clothes are good quality. Another thing I noticed was a lot of the styles were floral printed and I saw a lot of fringe. I think these styles will definitely be a big trend for this upcoming season. Overall, I really enjoyed going to the store with the girls in my group.  Looking through all the racks and taking down all my notes was so much fun. I mean can you believe going to a store and looking through all the racks is a homework assignment?  This trip made me realize even more how much I love fashion and want to keep learning about it at FIT.

I took a ton of pictures while we were on our trip and the two in this blog are my favorite displays from inside Urban Outfitters. Have you ever been to the Flatiron District? What are some of your favorite places to go there? Leave it in the comments below!

Until next time,

Nicole

5 responses to “A Trip to the Flatiron District!”

1. AnnMarie Avatar
    AnnMarie

Sounds like I need to make a trip to the Flatiron District. Always love reading about your FIT adventures.

2. Darlene Avatar
    Darlene

It’s so much fun going through this process with you! I felt like I was there! I haven’t ever been shopping in the Flatiron District but your blog this week makes me think I need to do a day trip there! What an awesome way to go to school!

3. Katherine Avatar
    Katherine

Your blog really makes me want to visit the Flatiron District. Your article is so descriptive it takes me into the store with you. Looking forward towards your next blog!

4. Katherine Avatar
    Katherine

Katherine

5. RoseAnn D'Amato Avatar
    RoseAnn D’Amato

Definately getting to the Flatiron District after reading your blog. Thanks for taking pictures at Urban Outfitters. I actually saw a shirt a liked!