Precollege Classes Expectations vs. Reality

MarisaFITPICI can’t believe we’re approaching the fourth week of classes! I can already tell that this semester is going to be unforgettable. But recently, I’ve been reflecting on my experiences at FIT, in comparison to my expectations.

I definitely had mixed emotions about starting my first precollege course at FIT. While deciding which class to take, I thought I would like Magazine Design because I’m creative, I like to write, and I’m pretty good with computers. I’ve been using different programs to make edits for a really long time, but, being self-taught, I was never very advanced. I was really nervous that I was going to be the worst person in the class, or that I would completely fail. Even though it’s only been three weeks, I can tell that this is definitely not the case.

The class is so much fun. I understand the program more than I thought I would; it’s actually a lot similar to programs I’ve worked with in the past. Since I’m obsessed with cosmetology, my magazine is beauty-themed, and I’m writing all of the stories myself. I honestly can’t contain my excitement about continuing it (I’m such a nerd).

So, what’s my advice to you? I suggest pursuing your dreams, even if you aren’t sure if it’ll work out. Try it anyway! At FIT, the professors and students will help you. We’re a creative community; putting our talents into action is the reason we take our Precollege courses.

-Marisa