My Not So “Typical” Typical Saturdays

Of course for many people going to FIT for Precollege classes seems to be anything but typical, but for us, Precollege students, it is either routine or quickly becoming. Not every Saturday is the same for me but most often this is what my Saturdays going to FIT and in being in NYC look like – basically here are the things I love to do and places I love to go (and what I recommend to anyone who may have time to kill whether it be before, after, or even in between class).

CatherineLyons_photo 2Shopping:

• 5th Avenue

5th Avenue is known for expensive shopping. Of course I don’t have that kind of money but I still enjoy going into expensive stores like Bergdorf Goodman. It’s not as intimidating as you’d think. They are nice there, even to an overly excited 15 year old who most definitely won’t be buying anything. There are plenty of more reasonable places to shop as well though like Zara, Urban Outfitters, Barnes and Nobles, etc.

• Herald Square

Herald Square is a nice area to shop in with the The Manhattan Mall and other shops around like Macy’s, Forever 21, Zara, H&M, Aldo, and seriously so much more. And it’s literally right by Penn Station!

• Soho

I don’t typically shop in Soho just because a lot of the shops I like to go to can be found at a much closer location (like Herald Square) BUT I still like to go because the only Topshop in the city is in Soho and there are some other shops there as well that are only in Soho.

• Thrift Stores

Beacon’s Closet, Buffalo Exchange, Goodwill (I haven’t been to a lot in NYC but I plan on going to more in the spring)

Food:

• Pret A Manger

Ah! Where do I begin!? My love affair with Pret A Manger started only a few months ago, but EVERY Saturday I stop in (there is like one on every street) and grab a snack for the break during class. The rosemary potato chips are my absolute favorite I highly recommend them!

• Chipotle

I don’t have to explain this one, do I?

• Panera Bread

I adore Panera especially the one by FIT mainly because it has a cool loft (my suburban Panera does not have a loft!) but I really love the food and the “You Pick Two” deal.

• Whole Foods

Of course it’s a supermarket, but I know for sure the one in Columbus Circle has buffets of pretty good food out, with a lot of stuff ranging from salad to Indian food. They have pretty good baked goods as well (I love the almond croissants)!

• Eataly

Eataly is by the Flat Iron building and it is an Italian food market with some restaurants in it as well. I’ve never had actual dinner there before (because the lines are quite long on a Saturday night) but they have really amazing gelato and paninis.

(Looking at this now I realize that I really don’t eat anywhere unique AT ALL)

CatherineLyons_photo 2 (1)Parks:

• Central Park (Near Columbus Circle)

I usually walk around the lower part of the park by Columbus Circle. I really love Columbus Circle, they have good shopping, a Whole Foods and other yummy food places, and of course Central Park is right there. What I tend to do is go to Whole Foods pick up a pastry and walk through the park. Central Park is quite nice early Saturday morning; people are out all around doing weekend errands or going for a jog.

• The High Line

The High Line is basically a park built on an elevated platform that used to be used as a railway. I highly recommend going, it’s quite crowded but still nice.

• Madison Square Park

It’s right by the Flat Iron building it’s small but Shake Shack is there and they have tables with heat lamps when it’s cold so that’s a major plus!

• Bryant Park

Another nice park! It’s like right behind the New York Public Library; there is ice-skating and some little pop-up shops in the winter, places to eat, and nice seating.

Just reinforcing this – of course there are plenty of things to do in NYC, these were just some of the places I thought could be accessible and quick for a Precollege student to go to either before or after class (probably not in between except for some of the food places I listed). But I would also like to add (I wouldn’t want anyone reading this have something bad happen to them) to make sure you have your parent’s permission to go anywhere that’s not FIT. And it’s probably best to have someone with you; I don’t go alone I go with my best friend Betsy who also takes classes a FIT.

If anyone has any other suggestions – or I wasn’t clear on something and you need more information please feel free to comment below!

Catherine