Second week of class

Nicolephoto 1Hi everyone! This past Saturday was my second week of classes and I feel like I have so much to tell you guys. (Don’t worry I won’t make this too long) This week our Professor assigned us our major project for the semester: ‘Trend Spotting In The Flat Iron District.” First, let me just say we are not talking about a flat iron for your hair, we are talking about the large array of stores and buildings on the streets of Manhattan.

The goal for this project is to spot different fashion trends in women’s, men’s, intimate apparel or home.  We get to pick one of the following stores: Banana Republic, Club Monaco, Zara, Victoria’s Secret, Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Gap, Old Navy, Express, Armani AX or Free People.  It is also mandatory that each group visit Paul Smith, at the corner of 16th street. I’m really excited about this because I have never been to the Flat Iron District and it’s so amazing that we are taking a field trip there! I mean come on would your regular school let you go on a trip where you are able to look for trends in stores in New York City?

Another great thing about my second class is that I was able to meet some really great people. During my first class, I was really nervous that I wasn’t going to make any friends and I was going to have to sit alone during each of the breaks. Then I thought to myself, “I am not going to let that happen.” I talked to a few girls and went to Starbucks with them.  It really wasn’t hard to make friends because first of all, everyone in this class shares a common interest for fashion and everyone was probably just as nervous as I was. Ok, I’m about to sound like a typical teenage girl, but it’s so great to be able to grab a cup of coffee before the last hour and a half of class.

Nicolephoto 2

Even though I’ve only had two classes so far, I feel like I have already learned so much. It’s really cool to be in a class where everyone has the same interests as you. I’m looking so forward to sharing more of my experiences at FIT with you all!

Until next week,

Nicole