High School Dreams of FIT Begin With Finding A Classroom – Rebecca

Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! The day has finally come! Wait, what am I going to wear?! Now, of course this is the most important question. My mind racing with excitement and nerves, I needed to focus my energy on one thing and one thing only: CLOTHES! Now this day was not just any day (although I am faced with this dilemma every day.) But this day I had worked up in my mind to be the first day of my real life. The day I would get to place that first step on the yellow brick road to Vogue.

The train ride was seemingly endless (35 minutes is a horribly long time!) My fingers do this drumming, fidgety thing whenever my mind won’t be quiet. The only way to get them, and me, to calm down is to plug myself into my iPhone. I am not only plugging in headphones, but I really am plugging in myself. Music and fashion are linked in my mind. But I will elaborate on this in another post. My eyes always wander, too. I seem to notice some pretty random things because of this. For example, I noticed that I was not the only fashion lover in the car. A short, skinny man wearing snake-print skinny jeans and black Doc Martens was looking at this one outfit on style.com. He would zoom in on the crotch of the pants and slowly make his way down the seam of one leg. Then he went back down the other. In-between his legs was a bag with the word Mood written on it. Now anyone who watches Project Runway should know what that is. I tried to peek inside. Hoping to see rolls and rolls of fabric, but all I saw was paper. My face probably showed obvious disappointment.

Deep breath. Just take a deep breath and walk inside. You have your ID and obnoxiously green, uncomfortable wrist band on. I was either very nervous or the door was glued shut, because I could not, for the life of me, open that huge, orange door. I have way too much trouble with doors in general, but now was not the best time for my arms to fail me. Finally, someone opened them from the inside, and I could relax. I was a good hour or more early as they said to be, but I was sent straight up to my classroom. It took me only five minutes to get the 7th floor of the C building, but finding my room was a different story.

It runs on my Dad’s side of the family to not ask for directions to anything, so I wandered around the 7th floor for a good twenty minutes. Now, so I didn’t seem like I was a hopeless idiot that had no idea where she was going, I read nearly everything that was on the walls. I looked at every single picture, but I still couldn’t find my room. At that point there were two other kids that looked like they were doing the exact same thing I was. I don’t even know why we were having such a hard time! But we just kept wandering up and down the hallways, looking at everything on the walls for the 3rd time, and swiftly glancing at room numbers above the doors. Now my first time around I didn’t realize that there were numbers on the door, but on my 2nd time around I saw C702. I looked at every single door a good five times before I realized that the room with the faded numbers was mine, C707. I felt like an idiot.

The two other wanderers and I had about forty five minutes until class started. Slowly more and more kids did their sly, but clearly lost roundabouts and I couldn’t help but smile. HA! I know what you’re doing! The clock did not want to move, and the awkward silence didn’t help either. Even once the teacher arrived no one wanted to speak. About an hour into the class people started to loosen up. We were all drawing and something about it just felt right. I was with other people that loved the same thing I did, and even though we may want to get different things out of this class in the end, we were still there because of one thing: the glorious, tough, miraculous World of Fashion! Or for short, WOF.

– Rebecca