Food Babies and Being Thankful

Two weeks ago was Turkey Day. Stuff-your-face-day. Wear-yoga-pants-to-dinner-day.
Or you can just call it Thanksgiving.
This year, Thanksgiving was different for me. Usually I’m just happy there’s no school, and I get to sleep late, and eat stuffing. I love stuffing. But with what’s happened in the past month, this year, I’m thankful for my life.
The hurricane really changed a lot about the way I look at things, from a sense of entitlement to one of gratitude. Now I know what it’s like to not have hot water, to not have an indoor flush toilet, to not have a clean shirt… and it’s hard. It’s really hard. I really hope none of you ever have to experience it.
This year, I am so thankful for everyone that’s helped my family along, and everyone whose helped the other people that need help. For my grandma, who has graciously accepted us into her home, bought us clothes, made us food, (HOT FOOD), given me fabric, allowed us to completely disrupt her life. For my friends, who were there for me, for my new FIT friends who shared their supplies when I didn’t have. For Professor Uvenio, who magically procured some magazines for me, including the September 2012 Vogue (!). For my mom, and her quick thinking that saved the sewing machines, and for my dad, who has been working tirelessly to get everything OK again. For my little sister, who hasn’t driven me crazy yet. For my boyfriend, who has been an immense support and role in keeping me sane throughout all this. I’m thankful that Nugget, Parmesan and A-Train/Hawkeye/Bacon survived, and also Finnick the fish.
ALSO- I’m thankful my grandma likes to sew, and got Threads, Sew News, and Sew Beautiful magazines, and is letting me use them. And my uncle for hosting Thanksgiving at his house.
What am I wearing this year? Most likely a dark dress. One without a waistband…
What are your plans? What are you grateful for?

-Emily