Just Express Yourself!

There is one thing that I hear time and time again: the majority of students at FIT feel like they’re able to express themselves and wear whatever they want when they come here. This is the great thing about FIT; the people that come here don’t feel judged or pressured to look a certain way. Even some girls I was talking to today were saying how they look forward to coming to FIT every Saturday because they can get “dressed up” and wear stuff that won’t make them feel like an outsider, as it would at their regular high schools.

I think it’s wonderful, how FIT lets people feel this way unintentionally. I mean, FIT’s a school, so it doesn’t talk or have feelings…

However, I don’t see the reason why people don’t express themselves in regular school or at home as they do at FIT. I admit, a while back I didn’t always think like this, but now I’m realizing that the way I dress at home and at FIT aren’t much different. I want everyone to be like this. It goes to show how people truly aren’t themselves at home since FIT brings out a person’s “real self”. Just aim for your “FIT self” and “home self” to be the same person. That’s all I have to say.

Now, on to the fun stuff! This week in my fashion merchandising class our decade project was due. I chose the 90’s, wrote a report and created a powerpoint on the 90’s influences, trends, blah blah blah. Additionally, I dressed up as my decade. I wore velvet leggings, a plaid flannel, band tee and platform shoes. Oh and a hair scrunchie!

Next week in my fabric styling class we are going to Mood and I am just a bit excited. I can’t believe I’ve never been there, Mood to a fashion student is like peanut butter to jelly 🙂

Fashionably Truly,

Michaela