My Day At F.I.T.

On this particular Saturday I woke up early in order to get my stuff together. I missed last

my classroom

week, so I was super nervous that I would be behind. I triple checked my bags and made sure to bring my camera. My dad drove me so I had enough time to settle in before my first class started. I had missed the week when we worked on the apron but I was ahead so I only had the embellishments to do. My teacher is very good with giving each of us personal attention, considering how huge the class is, so she took the time to explain to me what to do. After I had finished my apron I thought it looked pretty good. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it, though, because I wanted to move onto the shorts. I had gotten a really

my cray-cray shorts

cute fabric for the shorts and I couldn’t wait to give myself a headache cutting out the pattern. The pattern she gave us to copy was really interesting. I’ve made pants before, but I made my own pattern, so seeing a proper pants pattern was slightly confusing. It looked very similar to the pattern I made, just slightly more polished, and the pocket was a new idea for me. After cutting what I was starting to think was the worst fabric ever, I got to sewing. By then my

eyes had calmed down and I liked my fabric again. I started by sewing the strange pockets to the front pieces. I made sure to take this part slowly because I wanted to remember it for future use. After I ironed everything down I started  assembling the shorts. Pretty quickly they started looking less like blobs of fabric and more like shorts. By the time class had finished I was ninety percent done. All I have left is hemming and adding the elastic waist. I had my hour long lunch break which I used to go shopping at H&M, which is super close. Then it was time for my second class. In my draping class I had to be graded on my pencil skirt, so I got there early to get a head start.

my draping classroom

After pinning my pencil skirt to my dress form, my teacher graded it and it was time to start class. Because I was slightly behind, the teacher had me watch the demonstration and then she came over to help me with what we had to do. We were making the flared skirt, so I had fun dropping the hipline to create the flow. She showed me how to collect just enough fabric to make an even flair. After I had marked everything I took it off the dress form and trued it all. I always have trouble with truing because I never seem to find the angle that hits the most dots. My teacher is always willing to help though, so I never mess it up too badly. It took me the entire class to do the front and back and waistline. My teacher explained that a flared skirt should hang for at least two days so the

my flared skirt half done

threads can even out; otherwise your skirt will go all lopsided. Our skirts are going to have a week to hang in the closet, so I think we’re good. Overall I think it was a success. I’m no longer behind and my sewing class teacher let me bring home my apron before she grades it. I plan on making it very pretty and finishing up anything I did wrong in my haste to move onto the shorts. Next week I’ll be graded on two things, and finish two things. I’m really just looking forward to starting the bodice in draping class.

Sissi