Changes & Expectations

With all of the Precollege classes to choose from, I was having a hard time deciding on just two. I was relieved when I finally picked Fashion Design Techniques and Fabric Styling. Both are completely new to me, Fabric Styling is even in D Building, which I’ve never had a class in before.

In Fabric Styling, we chose a celebrity, (mine is Rooney Mara, who graduated from my high school) and we will be presenting how we would style their clothing, apartments, and photo shoots. There are a lot of new supplies that I wasn’t expecting, but they’ve all been really helpful. We use cutting boards, exact-o knives, and sticky-tac to make our presentations look very professional. We’ve learned how to use most of our supplies and how to use different layouts to make our boards stand out among the rest.

We also visited FIT’s Museum, and saw the IMPACT! exhibit. I must say, I can’t wait to get back and see it again next week. All of FIT’s exhibits are really inspirational and there’s a lot to learn from the changes in fashion throughout the years. It is extremely essential to know about in the fashion industry, since styles are constantly repeating themselves. It’s a huge privilege to have a (free!) museum right on campus, and the exhibits they’ve curated there have truly been amazing. Although I’m a little sad I missed out on Diane Von Furstenberg speaking in the Katy Murphy Amphitheatre at the opening!

In Fashion Design Techniques, I expected to enhance my skills in using patterns. However, there’s a lot more to it than that. We’ve learned how to draw the measurements on to the fabric and drape it right one to the mannequin and make our own darts. We just finished the basic skirt, and we’ve only had two classes. I already can’t wait to take it home to make my own skirts in several different fabrics.

In other news, I’ve been accepted to Parsons, The New School! Now, I only have to wait 3 more weeks until April to hear about FIT….

Karlie