In the Halls: Ming

Student: 
Ming (16) Brooklyn
Program: Saturday Live
Precollege Courses: HAP 017: Fashion Design Techniques & HAR 087: Advanced Fashion Design Art Techniques 

Describe your personal style.
I think my personal style is like Glma-Bohemian. I love textiles and amazing prints. I love bold clothing that stands out from everyone else. I almost always mix and match. I also love heels. I almost always where heels and a cute little bag to go with it. Accessories are key to make the outfit complete. Personally, I think prints are everything.

Where do you go on breaks from class?
On my breaks I go to to Buffalo Exchange, this little thrift store down the block from FIT. I always find amazing treasures and vintage clothes. I also go to the art store across the street from FIT sometimes and buy new supplies. I mostly go to Buffalo exchange though there are name brand clothes and shoes and for cheap prices.

What are your favorite things about FIT?
My favorite thing about FIT I would say are the instructors and the museum. The instructors are extremely nice, helpful and speak from experience.I love that the professors give their honest opinion and motivate us to keep moving forward. The museum is also amazing, the garments are absolutely gorgeous and I always feel motivated after every visit. 

Who or what inspires you?
My country of birth really inspires me. I love China , all the Asian influence and traditions inspire me. I would say my designs are usually Asian inspired – I like to embrace my nationality. Alexander McQueen also inspires me greatly I love his garments, they are so original, bold and very avant garde.

What do you want to do after college?
After college I would love to spend a year in Paris, Milan and then study fashion in China. I want to learn about different cultures and fashion of different mayor fashion capital countries. Most importantly I want to intern for a successful fashion designer. 

Tags: