Instructor Spotlight – Janet Esquirol

Janet Esquirol is an Adjunct Instructor for Communication Design in the School of Art and Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

Ms. Esquirol has taught at FIT since 2007  and received her BA Fine Art (Majors: Design and Print Making) at Connecticut College and her MFA in Design & Technology from Parsons School of Design. Ms. Esquirol also obtained a Certificate in Arts & Technology from Center for Arts and Technology at Connecticut College; a prestigious fellowship program.

Ms. Esquirol teaches HAD150: Computer Basics for Magazine Design for Precollege Programs at FIT.

Websites: 

Ms. Esquirol’s  Teaching Philosophy:

My greatest joy has been to see my students’ awards, career achievements, and publishing successes. I credit my students’ success to their hard work. They have told me that their success is in part thanks to my straight forward teaching style, guiding them through the comprehensive, highly technical, ever-changing tools of their trade. I believe that all aspects of an education in design can be made accessible. In the classroom, clarity breeds excitement and the motivation to work hard. I encourage my students to create design projects that they will want to execute. Every idea is within reach. When students hesitate to bring a great idea to fruition because ‘I don’t know how to use a database’ or ‘my Adobe Illustrator
skills are weak,’ I remind them that we do not design to the technology, we use technology to produce our design.

On Precollege Programs:

Precollege students are such a blast – they don’t seem to ever experience ‘artistic – block’ or general creative frustrations! Every summer the Precollege students astound me with their ambition and determination. The maturity level I see in critique in the Precollege Program at FIT truly impresses me – it gives me goosebumps imagining the fantastic work they will all go on to do in their future careers!! 

Additional Info:

Janet is the Principal of Esquirol©, a design studio specializing in art direction that simplifies the design process for clients, so they can feel free to create & dream towards the future. Janet specializes in advertising, publishing, motion graphics and user interface design. She remains involved in the design world through various professional memberships & networking events, and adjunct faculty positions.

“I am a design educator; expert lecturer and studio teacher. Over the past 7 years, I have had the privilege of being an adjunct faculty member at prestigious institutions in New York City, such as FIT, Pratt & Parsons.”

Recent & Upcoming Shows/Exhibitions:

• 2006-Members Show, East End Arts Council Riverhead, NY
  • 2005-“Fields” East End Arts Council Riverhead, NY
  • 09-12 (2 annual exhibits) SUNY FIT President’s Gallery Faculty Shows, NYC
  • 2008-Air Gallery, Brooklyn {DUMBO} NY

Industry Experience:

Art Director: 2001-2002
DAN’S PAPERS (weekly Newspaper), Bridgehampton, NY

Senior Graphic Designer: 1999-2001
BZ PRODUCTIONS (full service Ad Agency), East Providence, RI

Principal; Art Director: 2001-Present
ESQUIROL (Boutique Design Studio) New York City

,